Just finished up a couple more gun belts. I'm trying to build up some stock in order to have some items for display at some upcoming gun shows. I think these will be for display only as I don't see myself trying to make a hundred or so belts for immediate sale. But would like to display these so potential customers can see and feel the product.

post-27786-0-48316400-1372008206_thumb.j

post-27786-0-71492900-1372008218_thumb.j

post-27786-0-47476500-1372008233_thumb.j

Looks good! Care to share any details? I'm just getting into belts and trying to learn what makes a good one.

Looks good! Care to share any details? I'm just getting into belts and trying to learn what makes a good one.

Thanks Harley! I'd be happy to share. I start with 6/7 Hermann Oak single belt belt from Springfield Leather Co. I cut my 1.5 in strip and cut to length, mark my stitch line, punch my billet and chape holes, and dye to selected color. I then cut my 2.0 in liner and glue them together and sew. After the sewing is done I trim my liner to 1.5 in, sand even and bevel the edges. I then dye the edges and burnish using Bob Park's method (can be found on this forum). Once all the burnishing is done I apply Montana Pitch Blend oil, dry over night and the apply MPB leather dressing.

There's more details with the process, but that's it in a nutshell. Please feel free to ask about anything not covered.

The end that wraps over the buckle is it full double weight or do you skive it?

That's the part I can't visualize. Also do they make billet punches or do you freehand it?

The end that wraps over the buckle is it full double weight or do you skive it?

That's the part I can't visualize. Also do they make billet punches or do you freehand it?

It's skived just behind the tongue slot. I took an existing pattern I got from Chris "Slickbald" Andre's western belt pattern packand use it for my templates. However, I'm sure you could use an existing belt and use it for a template as well. Hope this helps.

post-27786-0-87846700-1372014461_thumb.j

Mr. Ingle,

How do you trim the 2.0" wide piece so that it's straight? I'm assuming that you roughly center the 1.5" piece on the 2.0" piece?

Mr. Ingle,

How do you trim the 2.0" wide piece so that it's straight? I'm assuming that you roughly center the 1.5" piece on the 2.0" piece?

That's correct. I center the 1-1/2 inch layer as best as possible and I should roughly have a 1/4 inch on each side to trim off. Once my 1-1/2 inch layer is glued to (on top) the 2 inch layer, I merely use the edge of the 1-1/2 layer as a guide and trim off the excess with my round knife.

I made a belt for a co worker recently basically just a blank from tandy and a buckle. After seeing yours I should give him his money back :-) but I only charged him for materials lol. I am curious though what weight and material do you use to line your belts?

I made a belt for a co worker recently basically just a blank from tandy and a buckle. After seeing yours I should give him his money back :-) but I only charged him for materials lol. I am curious though what weight and material do you use to line your belts?

I use 6/7 oz Hermann Oak single belt bend for both layers.

I think I'm most impressed by the fit and finish. If your hand dying them, your doing a great job at consistent coverage. Those should sell some belts for you.

I think I'm most impressed by the fit and finish. If your hand dying them, your doing a great job at consistent coverage. Those should sell some belts for you.

Thank you. I'm actually spraying them with a cheap Harbor Freight airbrush. I'm probably gonna look into drum-dyed leather if demand picks up.

Very nice work!

Very nice work!

Thanks!

They look great.

David

Thanks David! Much appreciated.

Please tell me you're not hand sewing these?

Please tell me you're not hand sewing these?

Nope, sewn with a Cobra Class 4 from Leather Machine Co.

Nope, sewn with a Cobra Class 4 from Leather Machine Co.

That stitching looks nice! I've got to ask what needle point type, presser foot combination, thread weight, process after stitching are you using? I just bought my first machine (a used Adler 205 clone) a month or so ago and am not getting nearly that nice looking of a stitch on the back, and my stitches are all straight and not nicely angled like yours, as in mine are - - - - - not /////. I've always handsewn everything and much prefer the angled stitches but didn't think that was possible with a machine.

That stitching looks nice! I've got to ask what needle point type, presser foot combination, thread weight, process after stitching are you using? I just bought my first machine (a used Adler 205 clone) a month or so ago and am not getting nearly that nice looking of a stitch on the back, and my stitches are all straight and not nicely angled like yours, as in mine are - - - - - not /////. I've always handsewn everything and much prefer the angled stitches but didn't think that was possible with a machine.

Thanks! Not sure what point the needle is. The info on the photo below may help. The presser foot is set up with a left foot. I used 207 bonded nylon top and bottom. After I stitch a mist water on the belt, let sit for a minute, and smooth out with a tool from Bianchi (frontier gun leather).

post-27786-0-08596700-1372298462_thumb.j

post-27786-0-08054000-1372298489_thumb.j

What's your finish coat? acrylic?

Very nice work!

What's your finish coat? acrylic?

No sir. I used Montana Pitch Blend Leather Dressing on these. I don't use acrylic on anything anymore.

No sir. I used Montana Pitch Blend Leather Dressing on these. I don't use acrylic on anything anymore.

What about dye bleed? No issues?

What about dye bleed? No issues?

None that I've noticed. I've been wearing a black one for months now and haven't seen any.

Are you using pro oil dye? Even on edges I've noticed alot of people have alot problems with bleeding edges even after a acrylic sealer.