Eric F

I Needed A Holster For My Snubby .38 Special

I have done a few holster in the past but this is the first one I did any tooling on. As you can see I still have to sew the welt seem and am trying to figure out what to use as my awl is a bit short to go trough all four layers of leather. If anyone has a suggestion I would really be glad to hear your thoughts. Thanks for looking.

.38 holster 1.jpg

.38 holster 2.jpg

.38 holster 3.jpg

.38 holster 4.jpg

.38 holster 5.jpg

post-11913-127361004165_thumb.jpg

post-11913-127361021287_thumb.jpg

post-11913-127361034962_thumb.jpg

post-11913-127361050935_thumb.jpg

post-11913-127361103145_thumb.jpg

Nice looking little holster.

A thought that I have done and it works ok, not the best but it works. If your awl will atleast pierce the other side then stab one direction and flip it over and stab the other direction. Remember the orientation of the angle of the awl and feel your way thru to make sure you stay in the same hole. Not the best idea but it can work in a pinch.

Another idea is a small drill bit. It works ok also, try to chuck it in a dremel and take your time and make sure your at a good 90 degrees to the work.

Try these methods on some scrap glued up tot he same thickness if you can.

Edited by MADMAX22

Nice looking little holster.

A thought that I have done and it works ok, not the best but it works. If your awl will atleast pierce the other side then stab one direction and flip it over and stab the other direction. Remember the orientation of the angle of the awl and feel your way thru to make sure you stay in the same hole. Not the best idea but it can work in a pinch.

Another idea is a small drill bit. It works ok also, try to chuck it in a dremel and take your time and make sure your at a good 90 degrees to the work.

Try these methods on some scrap glued up tot he same thickness if you can.

First let me say Thanks for the feed back Max. I might try the idea for the awl as mine is just showing the tip on the back side and I can align the holes that way. I was worried about over sizing the hole so I did not think that would work. I am afraid of the drill bit idea because I don't think the holes will close up after I drill them out. What I would really like is to find a longer awl that does not fatten out so much and reaches all the way trough the welt. By the way I see you live in Washington may I ask what part? I live in the South Sound area myself and am always looking for others to share notes on local places to buy tools and supplies. Thanks Again for your feed back it gave me a few idea to try on some scrap. I will let you know how it works out.