JC Javelle

Swivel Knives

I am looking for my first swivel knife! :head_hurts_kr:

I've searched through the forums and read opinions on makers and the like.

Oh! How does one choose?!?

What is the difference between adjustable and non adjustable? Knurled steel handles and ergonomic rubber/plastic handles? Ball bearing yoke or other? Long or short handle? Large or small?

I have very long and slender hands, and I tend not to like edges that dig into my fingers. I realize some of you will say I have to handle them to feel out what I am comfortable with. I also realize many of you will have different opinions. I understand this. I just wish to be educated on the different options available, and what those options do in concerns to how the knife will likely handle.

:whatdoyouthink:

Edited by JC Javelle

I use the ergo handle knife from Tandy leather and am pleased with it. The adjustable part of the knife lets you tailor knife to your grip and comfort.

I am looking for my first swivel knife! :head_hurts_kr:

I've searched through the forums and read opinions on makers and the like.

Oh! How does one choose?!?

What is the difference between adjustable and non adjustable? Knurled steel handles and ergonomic rubber/plastic handles? Ball bearing yoke or other? Long or short handle? Large or small?

I have very long and slender hands, and I tend not to like edges that dig into my fingers. I realize some of you will say I have to handle them to feel out what I am comfortable with. I also realize many of you will have different opinions. I understand this. I just wish to be educated on the different options available, and what those options do in concerns to how the knife will likely handle.

:whatdoyouthink:

I have a number of Tandy knives and one SK-3 from Paul at Leather Wranglers Inc. I like something about all of them but Paul's SK-3 is a true winner. I don't wish to have all the fancy "Knarly" decoration on the grip area. These are all comfortable to work with. If you are just starting out and want to step in easy on the pocket book try one of the Tandy cheaper knives. Sharpen them as soon as you receive it and strop often.

ferg

I have just used the basic Tandy knives, same with my Mom-who taught me. Like you mentioned earlier, you may want to test drive a few to see what you like best. Being a tool maker/machinist, if I want a fancy one I will just make it how I want to.

JC,

I would recommend that you find the cheapest adjustable knife that you can get, until you find out which size fits your hand best. Since you said your hands are long, slender and tender, you may want to stay away from the heavily knurled and grooved barreled knifes. This link to the tandy adjustable knife would be a good starter knife for you i think. Once you find out what size fits you best, then you can move up to a better, more expensive knife (if you wish to) without wasting a lot of money. Like Ferg, I favor the SK-3. I wouldn't trade mine for a dozen of the other knives i've tried. It's very adjustable, you can order different lengths, barrel diameters, yoke styles, and of course color; but it's a little pricey, so it's better to know exactly what you want before ordering one. Along with deciding which size knife fits your hand best, you also need to find which type blade works best for the type of work you wish to do. Blades come in different widths and thicknesses, some are straight, while others are angled. hollow ground, ceramic, steel, and high carbon steel. (are you having fun yet?)

The bottom line is that it needs to be comfortable to you. If it's too small or too big for your hand it will make your work harder, and you will have less control of your cuts.

hope that was more helpful than confusing,

ken

Edited by mendedbowl

My husband is a machinist, a welder, and a metallurgist, so the blades and choices don't scare me! I understand how to choose a blade and that it is dependent on the work I will want to do. But the tool that holds the blade is where I have little knowledge. :wacko:

Thank you for the links and suggestions! :thumbsup: I can't wait to dive in and will share what I find when I make my choice.

I know this is sorta an old post, but I just found it and wanted to add an idea. I have a thinner barrel swivel knife (ALS brand), and I prefer the 1/2" size, so I took a foamey pencil grip and worked it onto the barrel. It gives me a firmer and ergo grip. If you think you like the ergo style, you could get any thinner barrel knife and add a rubber or foam pencil grip to it with the same affect in a higher end knife. I do have a leather ringed ALS brand 1/2" knife that I do not like, it is to smooth to get a good grip on for me. Just throwing out some of my eperiances.

Nevada

P.S. I am going to order a SK-3 knife soon, I have used a friends a little and really like this swivel knife, but if your sharpening challenged like myself, I would suggest ordering the adapted Keen-edge jig from Leather Wranglers when you order the knife. I have a Barry King knife I like alot, but don't use, as I can't fit the Barry King blades into my current stock Keen-Edge jig. That's one thing about most custom knives, their blades usually only fit their knives. I have heard really good things about Robert Beards knives from Pro-Series Tools, but haven't personally used one.

Edited by FatSmitty