Sign in to follow this  
Egraham

Chisel.. Punch Question?

I'd like to say Hi.... My first time in here, and I'm just thrilled to find a resource like this!! I'm new to leather.. but I have 100's of tools that were handed down to me, & I just bought a new Cobra sewing machine. I like making tack and horse items. I have had no training, and no instruction.. other than watching videos on the You Tube, lol. So Im a GREEN HORN... to say the least. But I am an artist.. so this is a challenging new canvas for me that I am really loving! But I do have LOTS of questions... & some might seem really dumb,, like what is this tool called, or something else really basic that everyone (but me) probably knows :)

So here is my 1st "dumb" question... When working with a punch or chisel.. (like when using to pre punch for metal dots).. what type of surface do you use? I have already made some rookie mistakes.... like chipping my slab,, and even dumber.. using it on my anvil.. which flattend the tip of my chisel in an instant, lol.... I have tried putting layers of leather under the punch.. but I know there has to be an easier way that doesnt destroy my equipment.

I use the nylon / plastic cutting boards to cut and punch on.

I use the nylon / plastic cutting boards to cut and punch on.

Great idea... I will try that,, I will steal one from the kitchen.. Thanks

Tandy sells rubber sheets ( "pondo boards") and you can get them at industrial supply stores like Grainger and McMaster-Carr. Here is a link to McMaster-Carr medium strength with a 70 or 80 durometer 1/4" thick is what I bought. I covered my whole workbench top with it. That is what I punch into and I got a cutting mat from JoAnn's for cutting out small pieces on. It sure saves my blades.

Edited by TTcustom

I have seen thoes in the leahter store... I will pick one up. I could probably just glue it to my slab that way its always there.

I like the red 1" think clicker board for punching into, you can also get small pieces of it like 12 x 18 at tandy, it is a little firmer so it is easier to punch into. I tried the white cutting board stuff but it did not hold up near as long, it is much cheaper though. I have also covered all of my benh and table tops with rubber 3/4" stall mats, just as added precaution and it can also be punched into.

Dink

I melted down some old lead into a square mold 12" x 12". It is kindest of all on your punches, yet gives a solid backing.

When it is too marked, I simply re-melt it. Lasts forever!

Lois

Sorry to cut into your thread, but would using punches on a wooden board destroy them faster than on them rubber cutting mats?

Thanks!

Chavez.

I have seen thoes in the leahter store... I will pick one up. I could probably just glue it to my slab that way its always there.

Might not be the best idea. You need your slab to be hard to use stamps. If you glue the poundo board on it you will not be able to make a good impression on the leather with a stamp. Most people put the poundo board under the slab. It deadens the noise even more. Then just more the slap out of the way to punch a hole.