Sign in to follow this  
Sixer

Saddle Stitch By Hand Vs. Speedy Sewing Awl

I'm a novice at this so bare with me smile.gif

I have just recently started making (attempting to make) my own holsters. I am still trying to get a feel for the stitching part. So far I have only tried using a Saddle Stitch. I was thinking about picking up a Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl, but wanted to get a few expert opinions first.

What do you guys / gals prefer when it comes to your stitching? Which method would you reccomend to a new guy for holsters?

Thanks for your input!

LISTEN..........IF YOU WANT TO LEARN TO SADDLE STICH......BUY THE BOOK "HAND SEWING"

by AL STOLHMAN, AND FORGET THAT speedy sticher sewing awl.

now that said. Learn to saddle stich with an awl and 2 needles. then buy what you started to buy and sew with it, then let us know which you like better.

I have just recently started making (attempting to make) my own holsters. I am still trying to get a feel for the stitching part. So far I have only tried using a Saddle Stitch. I was thinking about picking up a Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl, but wanted to get a few expert opinions first.

What do you guys / gals prefer when it comes to your stitching? Which method would you reccomend to a new guy for holsters?

Thanks for your input!

Hi Sixer

forget the Speedy stitcher, they don't even make good Darts. Learn how to use an Awl and 2 needles is the best advice, to make the best work.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

Luke & Jim are absolutely correct. The speedy stitcher is ONLY good for a temporary, on the spot repair. The stitches aren't locked, so if you pull one of the threads, it'll all (awl -lol :rofl: ) unravel. Learn to use 2 needles. If you only have 1 needle, do a running stitch, then go back when you've hit the end- that is STILL a lot better than the speedy stitcher (or any of the clones- myers, etc).

russ

Hi there,

A little tip for ya to ease using a diamond awl if you go that route. My holsters are stitched before moulding so basically I just have two pieces of leather glued together that lays mostly flat. I took the chuck out of the stitching handle and put it in a cheap drill press. So without the drill press running of course, I can get effortless perpendicular holes with easy awl positioning. Only extra thing required is a flat piece of material (wood board, small cutting board) clamped to the table with a hole drilled just big enough for the awl to go through. I also paint a dot on one side of the awl chuck for reference to what side of the awl I'm looking at. Works great, providing you have a drill press! No more pricked fingers and sloppy holes.

Thanks for the input guys!

Ok, so the speedy stitcher thing is out of the equation. Thats exactly what I needed to know. A good awl is definitely on my "things to buy" list, but I still have my doubts on how well I can work it with 2 pieces of 8/9 oz leather glued together. I tried the Dremel with a 1/16th drill bit and found it pretty difficult to keep my holes even on both sides.

I like the drill press suggestion! I've been shopping around for one lately for other projects, so if I can put it to use on my holsters as well that would be great :)

Again, I appreciate the help! This forum is proving to be a great asset for a beginner such as myself.

Thanks for your input!

I´m quoting "The leathercrafters Bible" by John C. Simonds :

" Johnny, let me give you a piece of advice ! Take the needles out of that awl and put them on a shelf somewhere in case you ever find use of them ! Pull the thread off the spool. then step out the back door there and throw that awl as far as you can. When you come back I´ll show you how to stitch leather"

Oh darn! Here I am again disagreeing with the majority again. Don't throw that speedy stitcher away! I myself use saddle stitching on almost everything, BUT! There may come a time when you wish to stitch an item where you want two differant colors of thread; say a natural color to show on the tooled side and perhaps another color, like black or brown, to match the lining leather on the inside. Of course you will have to use an extra matching thread for the liner side instead of using the bobbin thread which you are using for the tooled side. See attachment which is "borrowed" and added to a little, from "The Art of Hand Sewing" by Al Stohlman, a "must have" book.

All of what has been said above is true, but it is also true that the speedy sticher produces the same lock stitch as most sewing machines and there are a great many of them out there in Leather Land. Handsewn saddle stiching is a mark of quality, but machine sewing is faster and sometimes an economic necessity.

sewing.jpg

post-13007-126496157767_thumb.jpg