longhorn leather

Need Some Good Tools!

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site, but I am looking for anyone who might have some good tools for sale. I have small leather shop on a western movie set, that is also a tourist attraction, so I do mostly small leather works for tourists. belts, wallets, key chains, etc. I also do a lot of repair work for horse tack. I have good sewing machine, but am desperately needing some other tools: Mallet, round knife, strap cutter, awls, edgers, etc. I don't have a ton of money but I'm willing to pay a fair price for good tools you might have extra of, or if you know of a good place to buy some new quality tools. Thanks!

check out this link....

http://brucejohnsonleather.com/content/index.php/leather_tools_for_sale/

he is a member here and all the used tools he sells are in ready to use condition and excellent quality.

Buy only what you need, when you need it. Buy high quality tools and you will only buy them once.

First of all the strap cutter, buy the wooden one from Tandy for $19 or less, they had the aluminum ones on sale but they were probably gone. Strap cutters are cheap, so you can buy one for each width you use and just leave them set that way. You should be able to get one (probably the same one) from Springfield Leather (info at top of page).

Mallet, Barry King

Maul, Ed the Bear Man (on this site). Barry King also. (different animals entirely)

Round Knife, Lonnie at Gomph-Hackbarth (under $100) or Paul Zalesack (over $100 but worth it).

Awls, Bob Douglas, don't buy from anyone else unless it is Sheridan Leather Outfitters who handle his tools.

Edgers, Bob Douglas, Barry King, Ron Edmonds, all extremely fine tools.

Round Punches, C.S.Osborne arch punches, but you'll have to sharpen them out of the box.

Belt Punches, Weaver are good punches. If you know how to sharpen, pick up used ones (arch punches too) from Proleptic, or get good sharp reconditioned punches from Bob Douglas and Mandy (or Luke) at Sheridan Leather Outfitters. Get the CSO punches (new) from Springfield Leather.

Miscellaneous Leather tools and stuff from Springfield Leather or Sheridan Leather, they carry Master glue, which is the same old smelly great formula it always has been.

I've tried to give you suppliers nearer to you, but everything I recommend I have used, and everyone I recommend I have dealt with. Other than that, just my opinion.

Art

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site, but I am looking for anyone who might have some good tools for sale. I have small leather shop on a western movie set, that is also a tourist attraction, so I do mostly small leather works for tourists. belts, wallets, key chains, etc. I also do a lot of repair work for horse tack. I have good sewing machine, but am desperately needing some other tools: Mallet, round knife, strap cutter, awls, edgers, etc. I don't have a ton of money but I'm willing to pay a fair price for good tools you might have extra of, or if you know of a good place to buy some new quality tools. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum and greetings from Central Texas!

As for you tool search, I happen to have an older guild member who is looking to sell a 'lot' of tools. Take a look at my 'facebook' page under the photos section where it says tools for sale. He is asking $380 or best offer with potential free shipping depending on the offer. It is good sale. All of the Crafttools are pre letter and some pre number. If you have interested, drop me a line with your offer and I can certainly put you together with him.

Good luck

I tried clicking on your facebook link but it wont load your page. Is there another way to get to it?

As for you tool search, I happen to have an older guild member who is looking to sell a 'lot' of tools. Take a look at my 'facebook' page under the photos section where it says tools for sale. He is asking $380 or best offer with potential free shipping depending on the offer. It is good sale. All of the Crafttools are pre letter and some pre number. If you have interested, drop me a line with your offer and I can certainly put you together with him.

Good luck

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll look around and see what I can afford :)

Buy only what you need, when you need it. Buy high quality tools and you will only buy them once.

First of all the strap cutter, buy the wooden one from Tandy for $19 or less, they had the aluminum ones on sale but they were probably gone. Strap cutters are cheap, so you can buy one for each width you use and just leave them set that way. You should be able to get one (probably the same one) from Springfield Leather (info at top of page).

Mallet, Barry King

Maul, Ed the Bear Man (on this site). Barry King also. (different animals entirely)

Round Knife, Lonnie at Gomph-Hackbarth (under $100) or Paul Zalesack (over $100 but worth it).

Awls, Bob Douglas, don't buy from anyone else unless it is Sheridan Leather Outfitters who handle his tools.

Edgers, Bob Douglas, Barry King, Ron Edmonds, all extremely fine tools.

Round Punches, C.S.Osborne arch punches, but you'll have to sharpen them out of the box.

Belt Punches, Weaver are good punches. If you know how to sharpen, pick up used ones (arch punches too) from Proleptic, or get good sharp reconditioned punches from Bob Douglas and Mandy (or Luke) at Sheridan Leather Outfitters. Get the CSO punches (new) from Springfield Leather.

Miscellaneous Leather tools and stuff from Springfield Leather or Sheridan Leather, they carry Master glue, which is the same old smelly great formula it always has been.

I've tried to give you suppliers nearer to you, but everything I recommend I have used, and everyone I recommend I have dealt with. Other than that, just my opinion.

Art

Good luck

Could you tell me what you mean by pre letter and pre number ? I have some of those older tools. I'm guessing they are better quality ??? ( I might learn something here !) Thanks--------------Bill

Pre letter/number means better quality because they're made out of metal, not the chrome coated junk being used these days. I have some of the older crafttools, from about 40 years ago, and the new ones (same pattern) don't even compare. Top of the line for stamps is probably Barry King- all made from stainless steel. I think Gomph-Hackbarth still has a set for about $100 that's received good reviews...if you want a set.

Thanks Twin Oaks. Yes, they are the older tools. The tools that my guild member is trying to sell belonged to Sam Harris, a well known saddle maker from Texas who I am told was the original promoter of the Texas Saddle and Boot Show that happens every October. Most of Mr. Harris stuff has been liquidated, but these tools are the only ones left. My guild member would like get these out so he is motivated to sell.

To see the tools: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=100001562314741&aid=11177