BearMan

New Tools

Here are a few of the tools that I'm making, to replace some of the old ones I made many years ago. I've started using 304 Stainless Steel on all of these. I like the stainless, a lot better than the steel I've used in the past. I needed a new beveler in a size that I didn't have,,,, & that's where my new obsession began. The stainless just feels soooo much nicer to hold & to use! My old tools are still very serviceable, so I think I will pass those onto my Son. From left to right: Sm. cluster Bar grounder, 5 line Bar grounder, 1/4" checkered Beveler, 3/16" checkered Beveler, 1/8" checkered Beveler, 3/32" checkered Beveler, Diamond shaped leaf liner/border tool, Leaf shape border tool, 3/8" checkered matting tool, 1/2" flower center, Lg. Camo. As you can see some of the tools aren't completely finished. When done they will all have the drilled finger grips on the shaft. I've found that by having a more random grooves like on the Lg Camo, the result is a more realistic result. I can make them with perfectly spaced lines,,, but nature just isn't that perfect. The Checkbook I showed on here about a week ago was tooled using mostly these tools. Soooo,,, What Ya think??? Ed the"BearMan"

Tools_4_GOOD_.jpg

Tools_Bevelers_Bar_Grounders_GOOD.jpg

Tools_flower_center_Camo_border_good.jpg

post-7175-1239998094_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1239998109_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1239998125_thumb.jpg

very nice

i like how you did the camo tool, with some of the grooves deeper and some more shallow...that gives a nice effect.

i like your bevelers too.

ken

Very impressive! I agree that the random lines on the camo gives a MUCH more interesting pattern.

One question: What did you use to cut the checkering on the bevelers? I made a beveler and a pear shader, and tried adding lines to the beveler with a leaf-shaped needle file with very little success. Ended up filing the whole thing back down smooth.

Thanks

-Aaron

Edited by sandycreek

Great work

I love your tools!! Looks so much nicer to use than the el cheapo ones!

Tom

Hi Aaron

The lines on the Bevelers are done with a type of file called a "Checkering File" the one I use a 40lines per inch, which is somewhat courser than the "commercial" makers use. I just like the larger checkering. ED

Very impressive! I agree that the random lines on the camo gives a MUCH more interesting pattern.

One question: What did you use to cut the checkering on the bevelers? I made a beveler and a pear shader, and tried adding lines to the beveler with a leaf-shaped needle file with very little success. Ended up filing the whole thing back down smooth.

Thanks

-Aaron

Those look great, BearMan!

Those of you asking about the checkering, you can buy checkering files that are sold to gunsmiths and engravers. Brownell's has them, along with quite a few other tools that could be useful for stamp-making.

Kate

Everytime I see this stuff I wanna start making my own.

Your very talented Bearman, good work on those tools.

Thanks for posting links citizenkate