Sign in to follow this  
Tnoisaw

Using Game Ulu For Leather

As a new leather worker I've had to adapt a bit to save money. I have a game knife that is shaped like an ulu that I've been using to cut leather. It's done pretty good in cutting as long as I keep it sharp-I'm cutting about 9 oz leather. Some day I'll invest in a head knife but will probably get other leather tools first.

Just wanted to tell the new leather workers that there are ways to get around buying all new stuff right away.

Have you got a picture of the model your using for comparison purposes?

I used my ulu knife for a while with leather, but because of the thickness of the blade it has never worked quite as well as a round knife. I think its mainly because the blade is only beveled on one side. That said, its better than some of the other knives I tried. If you have a good edge and strop it, it will work.

This is why I asked for a picture, thats not really the classic ulu shape, it's a regular skinner.

And it does look a bit thick, As a round knife no probably not the greatest but if you really thinned down and added a long bevel into the edge it might cut quite cleanly.

You would get better use of it I think if you could could add your own handle to it but it looks like it might be a small tang glued in from here, which is a shame.

I have noticed it's too thick. I will get a good head knife someday but until then. My skinner will have to do.

Then I definately recommend you thin the bevel down, take it back to at least twice as far fromthe edge and hit it with a heavy bastard file and it should be done in no time.

Use a permanent marker to mark the edges you inted to file that way it shows exactly whats being removed and you can keep yourself even.