RoosterShooter

Leatherburnishers.com ... Anyone Have Their Tools?

I'm looking into a set of burnishers for my drill press, and just wondering if anyone has ordered from http://www.leatherburnishers.com/Burnishers-for-Dremel.html .

Thanks, in advance, for the replies.

Those are the ones that Chris (Spinner) designed and are now being produced by Ed the Bearman (Bearman). Both are members here, and the burnishers have earned a very good reputation.

I have the holster makers burnisher for a drill press. I love it, works great, looks great, very versatile. The one I have has stepped pins at the bottom in addition to the grooves so that I can burnish guitar strap holes and slots. Excellent value, they are worth more than they cost.

Chief

That's all I needed to know. Thanks guys.

I just got my set for the dremel last week and all I can say, You won't be sorry. These tools is more than great and they quickly became some of my best leather companions :thumbsup:

It's good to see the legacy carry on... :thumbsup: I'm a bit biased since I designed the original ones (Beary has added more designs to the list) but you should be pleased with them Rooster.

Bearman's leatherworking mauls can be found on the same site if you haven't checked them out, they are also great tools.

Cheers,

Chris

As it sits right now, I'm thinking of buying one of Holster Maker's tools, as well as, a few of the dremel tools. Are any of you using the dremel tools on holsters?

I ordered a maul and a pair of dremels a few weeks ago. Beary said it could be a few weeks before they arrive, as they're part of a show. I still check my mailbox everyday hoping it'll be in! My dremel is all set up and ready to go, I can't wait!

Got mine on order and I can't wait!

I contacted him this afternoon. I want to order some dremel tools to begin. Then the others in a couple of weeks. How long does it take him to get back to you guys?

Not in a hurry ... just curious.

Thanks.

I do...great workmanship! Definitely would recommend them highly!!

Not like you need another opinion, but I'll add mine anyway. I have a set three Drexel burnishers from Ed and Beary. These really are a great investment. Cut down a lot of time and effort when burnishing. The deference really os something.

I contacted him this afternoon. I want to order some dremel tools to begin. Then the others in a couple of weeks. How long does it take him to get back to you guys?

Thanks.

Beary's pretty quick most of the time but as a rule of thumb I usually give small shops like mine 24-48 hours to get back to me...then again, it only takes that long for me to forget I sent the request in the first place most days so the reply is a pleasant surprise. LOL ;)

Thanks.

I ordered mine last week. He said he was getting ready for a show and vacation so the order may take a little longer than usual. No problem for me... I'm not in a hurry either.

I have one of spinners original drill press burnishers but dropped it on cement when the chuck fell out. It cracked the end but still works just fine. I decided to order one from Beary on Sept 25th as a back up just in case I drop it again and it splits.

I ordered mine last week. He said he was getting ready for a show and vacation so the order may take a little longer than usual. No problem for me... I'm not in a hurry either.

Hey Andy,

Two things, just realized you changed your business name! Second, I just saw you're in La Verne...you're only 20-30 minutes from me, we should hang out and talk shop sometime.

Chris

Hey Andy,

Two things, just realized you changed your business name! Second, I just saw you're in La Verne...you're only 20-30 minutes from me, we should hang out and talk shop sometime.

Chris

Hey Chris,

Just saw this post! Yeah you're really close by. How's your leather biz these days? I do enough to keep me as busy as I want to be, considering I have very little free time that's not saying much! Haha!

Yeah, changed my name as I wanted to develop a brand that more suits my style and interests.

Andy

Edit P.S.

Just got my burnisher in and it is amazing! I wishi had bought one of these sooner... As in years ago! I've been just suffering with that crappy plastic wheel from Tandy. This burnisher should be a required tool on any respectable bench! Lol! My edges have never looked better. I started using a method I read on here somewhere, spray a tad of water into my saddle soap tin, apply a little with my finger along my edges and burnish away with the tool. Works perfect.

Edited by AndyL1

Hi Andy,

I just noticed your post. I'm glad you like the burnisher so much! I will pass the info on to Beary,,, I'm sure he'll appreciate the comments.

I just got my dremel burnishers last week.

They work very well, though I have to fiddle with my technique to get it perfect. You have to sand the edges to make them round, as the tool will not round it for you. When I used the plastic tandy thing, I was exerting enough pressure to round the leather at the same time so I didn't have to sand it. I use the lowest speed on my dremel and even slight pressure causes it to slow down (I have the dremel attachment that's on a cable so I don't have to lift the whole tool every time). If you go too fast, you burn the leather, which is evidenced by the smell!

So far I'm loving it, and it will save a lot of time. It's not as easy as it looks, however, and will take some practice to get it just right.

I just got my dremel burnishers last week.

They work very well, though I have to fiddle with my technique to get it perfect. You have to sand the edges to make them round, as the tool will not round it for you. When I used the plastic tandy thing, I was exerting enough pressure to round the leather at the same time so I didn't have to sand it. I use the lowest speed on my dremel and even slight pressure causes it to slow down (I have the dremel attachment that's on a cable so I don't have to lift the whole tool every time). If you go too fast, you burn the leather, which is evidenced by the smell!

So far I'm loving it, and it will save a lot of time. It's not as easy as it looks, however, and will take some practice to get it just right.

Actually, what you have found is the correct way to burnish. ;) Previously when the plastic burnisher was "rounding over the edge" it was simply softening the corners enough to crown them over and give the impression of a rounded edge. Later on down the road as the piece ages those crowned corners will get brittle & break off exposing a ragged squarish edge. by edging and sanding the edge prior to burnishing, you are creating a true rounded edge and the burnisher is doing the job of polishing the edge correctly as it's meant to.

Cheers,

Chris

Actually, what you have found is the correct way to burnish. ;) Previously when the plastic burnisher was "rounding over the edge" it was simply softening the corners enough to crown them over and give the impression of a rounded edge. Later on down the road as the piece ages those crowned corners will get brittle & break off exposing a ragged squarish edge. by edging and sanding the edge prior to burnishing, you are creating a true rounded edge and the burnisher is doing the job of polishing the edge correctly as it's meant to.

Cheers,

Chris

Wouldn't the hand held "edging tool" be fine for rounding the edges and eliminate the need to sand? - I know there are several tools generically referred to as 'edging tools' but I forget the official name, I'm talking about the ones that take off the square parts of an edge. Couldn't you just run one of those along the edge then burnish?

Wouldn't the hand held "edging tool" be fine for rounding the edges and eliminate the need to sand? - I know there are several tools generically referred to as 'edging tools' but I forget the official name, I'm talking about the ones that take off the square parts of an edge. Couldn't you just run one of those along the edge then burnish?

You can, and many folks do. It's still not going to be 100% like with sanding though. What you end up with is 4 smaller, more obtuse corners so the 'burr' will be smaller and more compacted but it is still there. This is typically what creates the gravelly (totally made up word) look. Without sanding, it's pretty much impossible to get the shiny, smooth, gorgeous, long lasting edges that Bobby achieves and describes in his tutorial.

To add to what Chris says, you'll notice that many of the edging tools just knock off the corner to create a 45 degree bevel, usually leaving a high spot in the center as well. Sanding will help to make it a truly rounded edge prior to burnishing.

small drum sander is the preferred tool after the hand-held edger tool ?