Raven UK

Hand Sewing A Rolled Edge?

Hi there :)

I recently had a look at Kevins tutorial on his wallets and love the way they look. Has anyone managed doing the rolled edge by hand, ie saddle stitch or similar? I don't have a machine so everything is hand sewn here. I'll probably be giving it a try anyway, but if there's any tips from someone who has done it I'd be very grateful :)

... so that's a no then?

Well, looks like I'll give it a go solo tomorrow, if I can work it out. If not, guess it's double cordovan lacing again...

One thing that I have done when hand sewing a rolled edge is to wet that edge and hold it down till it dries with document clasps or the like (I use veg tan) and then punch and sew it like normal.

I have not tried hand stitching a rolled edge but I did think about it while doing some on a machine.

What I would do is use the basting tape as suggested (I actually used double sided scotch tape for mine) and then use a beeswax cake as a backer for the thin leather when stabbing the holes. Other than having to make twice as many stictches as normal I don't see any problem at all. And when hand stitching dealing with the corners will be a lot easier.

BTW, Thank You Kevin, great tutorial and a great way to set your items apart from the crowd.

Dan

I'd not thought of using veg for the edging, but I do have a load of goat veg that's not really up to snuff for larger items, so may try that, thanks RB.

Dan, I saw the tape in Kevins tutorial and will try and get something similar here. I'm not expecting my effort to be anything close to saleable quality, I just want it good enough to use :) and if it looks good then that's a sure fire bonus!

I've done something similar on a few small items. My technique involves using a very thin line of contact cement on the inside edge (flesh to flesh), then making the roll around the edge and sewing through all layers. It does not turn out exactly like Kevin's as the stitching goes through the roll from the front and back, but it makes a neat looking finish without having to sew the perimeter twice by hand. What ever leather you use needs to be thin and stretchy if you plan to go around some curves.