BillB

Weaver Power Edge Slicker

I am considering buying a Weaver Power Edge Slicker and I am looking for any advice/comments from folks who have had one, used it, price/value, etc. :whatdoyouthink:

I am looking at the new design that has both the sanding drum as well as the wooden roller.

Please no food fights. :eusa_naughty:

I prefer to leave the coffee, tea, donuts, and cookies in their appropriate places. :rolleyes2:

BillB.

You might want to send Ivan an email. He raves about his burnisher, and he's now planning on selling them with a small motor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fantastic-Leather-Edge...id=p3911.c0.m14

Ed

You rock Ed!! That is exactly the kind of thing I have been looking for!! I just ordered one. I bought a 6" buffer at Harbor Freight for $50. I really bought it for the motor. I am going to attach this to the buffer arbor and this should make my life MUCH easier!!

I need speed. I can't futz around burnishing each belt for half hour. I think this thing will get me a fast clean burnish. And if it doesn't work I will use the mandrel to hold a nice block of turned African Blackwood that will. So I can't lose on this deal!

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

Edit... $85 ($50 + $35) is a heck of a lot better price than $475!!

Edited by Bree

My burnisher will work if you run it at 1750 RPM or less. The duffer you bought will work for sharpening tools or taking off the dye bloom if you buy your cloth wheels from Sears. I packaged your burnisher this am and is will ship today. For sanding the edgis I use the small bench belt sander Harbor Freight sells. Do not wet the edges, use my blended wax and your edges will look FANASTIC!!

You might want to send Ivan an email. He raves about his burnisher, and he's now planning on selling them with a small motor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fantastic-Leather-Edge...id=p3911.c0.m14

Ed

Please page 14 of the August 2008 RawHide Gazette for some additional information. I've clipped out that page and here it is:

burnisher.pdf

If you want to see the entire issue then here is a direct link:

http://www.pslac.org/public/08_aug08.pdf

If you want to see an index to all the public issues, here is a link:

http://www.pslac.org/table_index_rawhide.htm

Hope this helps.

Bob Stelmack

burnisher.pdf

My last response was the first time I have ever replied to anything on this site. I should have given a better explanation.

A buffer turns at 3600 RPM. That speed creates a lot of friction and will burn my burnisher. I'm not sure what it will do to your leather.

I also make belts, 50 to 75 at a time. If you follow my instructions you should spend less then 5 minutes burnishing each belt.

First edge both sides. If you like a darker edge color it. With my burnisher I started using colored "Sharpies" (it is faster).

Then rub on some of the blended wax I sent with the burnisher along the edge. Chrome tanned leather uses more wax on the edge the veggie tanned.

To get started faster with my burnisher (with it running) use the shaft of a small screwdriver to start a grove in the wheel.

From time to time you need to press the wax into the wheel too.

If you use too much way you will get a build up on your belt. It comes off with your thump.

Please Email me if you have any questions.

Thank You

Ivan

Thanks Ivan!

The buffer does indeed run at 3600 rpm. However, I think that by using lighter pressure I can get the same effect. If I can't, I can run it on my Delta Drill Press which has variable speed between 500 and 3100 rpm. One way another I will get it to work especially if I use some very fine sandpaper (400-600 grit) prior to burnishing to prep the surface for burnishing.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You rock Ed!! That is exactly the kind of thing I have been looking for!! I just ordered one. I bought a 6" buffer at Harbor Freight for $50. I really bought it for the motor. I am going to attach this to the buffer arbor and this should make my life MUCH easier!!I need speed. I can't futz around burnishing each belt for half hour. I think this thing will get me a fast clean burnish. And if it doesn't work I will use the mandrel to hold a nice block of turned African Blackwood that will. So I can't lose on this deal! :You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon: Edit... $85 ($50 + $35) is a heck of a lot better price than $475!!
Anything to return the favor for turning me on to Penn State Industries. I've received everything to start turning blanks and making pens, but it will be some time beore I am able to try it all out.Ed
Thanks Ivan!The buffer does indeed run at 3600 rpm. However, I think that by using lighter pressure I can get the same effect. If I can't, I can run it on my Delta Drill Press which has variable speed between 500 and 3100 rpm. One way another I will get it to work especially if I use some very fine sandpaper (400-600 grit) prior to burnishing to prep the surface for burnishing. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I know that there are small desktop grinders that have a variable speed of 0 to 10,000 rpm. I wonder about their quality due to a a $35 to $45 price tag.Bree, is your Delta drill press variable speed without having to change a drive belt? Now that I have my turning supplies and drill press lathe, I can see how useful it would be to have such a drill press. My variable speed requires the changing of the belt.ed

Bree,

I believe if you use my burnisher in your high speed buffer you will burn it where you touch it, the blended wax will not work as designed, and the burnisher may self destruct. If it does not come apart at 3600 RPM and then you run it at its designed speed the area you burned will not burnish anymore and you will not be happy. Believe me I have put 100's of hour's into this burnisher. If you follow my instructions nothing comes close to working like it does NOTHING. When you run it over 1750 RPM my burnisher will not last long and will not work. In about 2 weeks I will have my own motors, made in the USA, and sell you one for $59.99. I should have photos this weekend on the 2 different set ups. I will Email them to you if you would like. I ask that you reconsider running my burnisher over its design speed.

Thank You

Ivan

Bree,

I believe if you use my burnisher in your high speed buffer you will burn it where you touch it, the blended wax will not work as designed, and the burnisher may self destruct. If it does not come apart at 3600 RPM and then you run it at its designed speed the area you burned will not burnish anymore and you will not be happy. Believe me I have put 100's of hour's into this burnisher. If you follow my instructions nothing comes close to working like it does NOTHING. When you run it over 1750 RPM my burnisher will not last long and will not work. In about 2 weeks I will have my own motors, made in the USA, and sell you one for $59.99. I should have photos this weekend on the 2 different set ups. I will Email them to you if you would like. I ask that you reconsider running my burnisher over its design speed.

Thank You

Ivan

Far be it from me to violate the manufacturer's suggested configuration! Send me the info on the new motor at breeliz AT verizon DOT net

Ed... My Delta does not require belt change. It handles everything itself. It sometimes gets mixed reviews but I have never had a problem with it. Works like a champ in everything I ask it to do.

DP350_1.jpg

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/P...ProductID=11420

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

I'm thinking of getting Ivan's motor along with his burnisher, but I do like the idea of having a variable mini bench grinder for this task.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=43533

Does anyone have experience with these. If I get it, I'd have to use some kind of arbor adapter to go from 10mm to 1/2" and with some extension to allow burnishing space, which ma unbalance the grinder. I've never used one of these mini grinders and don't know is such modifications are possible.

Ed

I'm thinking of getting Ivan's motor along with his burnisher, but I do like the idea of having a variable mini bench grinder for this task.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=43533

Does anyone have experience with these. If I get it, I'd have to use some kind of arbor adapter to go from 10mm to 1/2" and with some extension to allow burnishing space, which ma unbalance the grinder. I've never used one of these mini grinders and don't know is such modifications are possible.

Ed

To ALL above, regarding motors other than the 1750 RPM. I have one of Ivan's fantastic burnishers and running the uncased leather against the burnisher along with Ivan's prepared wax mixture requires some force and friction. The idea is that the wool felt wheel mechanically lays the leather fibers over while the speed heats up the leather melting the wax mixture into the fibers that are being laid down. Use of a motor that would start to stall when you push the leather against the burnisher would slow the burnisher down and the wax mixture would not work as effectively. I suspect that the mini bench grinder would fall into that category (I do think that mini bench grinder* would be a nice addition to a leather shop for many other reasons). I think Ivan will be selling a perfectly matched motor, at a reasonable price, with or without the burnisher in the near future.

Also, a motor that spins faster will overheat the leather and sort of burns the edges. You can slow a motor down with a pair of with a ratio of 1:2, but that requires an extra spindle to hold the burnisher.

I know Ivan. He make belts. LOTS of belts and LOTS of other items. His experience and his burnisher came out of an evolution of trying other ways. I think this burnisher and a 1750 RPM motor along with the wax mixture is fantastic.

Hope this helps.

Bob Stelmack

(*note: As with any tool that grinds metal, be sure to keep it well away from cased leather because the small ground particles cause black spots on the leather that cannot be removed.)

Bree,

Thank You

Ivan

OK Ivan... The ball's in your court. I have the burnisher and two pieces of the special wax. I am NOT going to mount it on my 3500 rpm motor. I will wait to see what you come up with in an inexpensive 1750 rpm motor. I'm not in a great hurry as I have a huge amount of work to do for my IBM job right now. I want to do this right.

BTW... Thanks for the FAST service!!

My new burnisher and motor is now on eBay.

Thank You

Ivan

Very nice looking burnisher, and it can be tucked out of the way easily.

ed

I ordered one of the burnishers with the motor monday, I can't wait to give it a try.

Ivan, I noticed your motor set-up, and reading the replies it sounds great. Do you have actual step by step pictures on how to work your gadget? still new here and learning, and deciding if I want to invest on it. thanks, Daniel.

Ivan

I received my burnisher Saturday. Works great. Took about 5 minutes to burnish a set of reins that normally takes 30 minutes using my old method and did a much better job.

Thanks

RussH

I got my new motor and burnisher from Ivan. I mounted the motor to an MDF base. I am now mounting all my portable bench tools for leather to MDF bases 24"x 12" which fit my granite surface plate . The plate has a lip so I can clamp the MDF bases to the granite and have a very solid vibration-free base. My 96" workbench serves as the outfeed table for the leather I am working.

The motor is a GE running at 1725 rpm. I think it is a great deal for that motor. I have to add an on-off switch inline but that isn't hard or expensive to do.

The burnisher works great so far. I took a small section of belt to test it out. The burnisher performed very well. I used the wax as instructed and it gave me a nice dark burnish. I broke the rules and used a little water on a small section and I really liked that burnish... not as dark but very smooth and shiney. Don't tell Ivan!!

I want to do a full size double layer belt with the wax as soon as I get some time. When I do, I will see if I can snap some PIX. I may be able to do that next weekend. I am swamped with work from my IBM job and it's paying me a lot of money so you have to make hay while the sun is shining!!

Bree, better do that groove with the screw-driver shaft too, or else Ivan will make you stay after school.

I sent him a picture of mine after setting it up and trying out like you did, and he noticed right away I was breaking the rules,,,,he let me know it.....so chop chop... :blahblahblah:

I got my new motor and burnisher from Ivan. I mounted the motor to an MDF base. I am now mounting all my portable bench tools for leather to MDF bases 24"x 12" which fit my granite surface plate . The plate has a lip so I can clamp the MDF bases to the granite and have a very solid vibration-free base. My 96" workbench serves as the outfeed table for the leather I am working.

The motor is a GE running at 1725 rpm. I think it is a great deal for that motor. I have to add an on-off switch inline but that isn't hard or expensive to do.

The burnisher works great so far. I took a small section of belt to test it out. The burnisher performed very well. I used the wax as instructed and it gave me a nice dark burnish. I broke the rules and used a little water on a small section and I really liked that burnish... not as dark but very smooth and shiney. Don't tell Ivan!!

I want to do a full size double layer belt with the wax as soon as I get some time. When I do, I will see if I can snap some PIX. I may be able to do that next weekend. I am swamped with work from my IBM job and it's paying me a lot of money so you have to make hay while the sun is shining!!

My motor and burnisher are on the way. I'd love to see your MDF base for clamping, as I need to do the same. I'd also like to find some good, quick clamps for clamping. By the way, is MDF medium density fiberboard? I was hoping to make a 12" x 12" base.

I also like to slick once with water and then apply my edge finish. Do you think it will be possible to slick chrome tan and veg tan once with water with this burnisher, and then possibly with wax, maybe even an edge finish and then wax.

When you say you had to install an on/off switch do you mean that the motor starts up right when you plug it in?

ed

My motor and burnisher are on the way. I'd love to see your MDF base for clamping, as I need to do the same. I'd also like to find some good, quick clamps for clamping. By the way, is MDF medium density fiberboard? I was hoping to make a 12" x 12" base.

I also like to slick once with water and then apply my edge finish. Do you think it will be possible to slick chrome tan and veg tan once with water with this burnisher, and then possibly with wax, maybe even an edge finish and then wax.

When you say you had to install an on/off switch do you mean that the motor starts up right when you plug it in?

ed

OK Here are some PIX of the burnisher and some other tools mounted on exactly the same size base but down in storage. For clamps I am just using fast woodworking clamps. The size of your base will be determined by the surface you clamp to. My surface plate is 18 x 24" and I don't need the full 18" as it is too big for my storage area. Remember to use some Forstner bits and drill out part of the bottom so your bolts are flush or less with the bottom.

As for the burnishing... I think you can make just about anything work as long as you control the pressure. The burnisher is still moving very fast at 1725 rpm. Too much pressure and you can overheat it. I liked the water because it is hard to overheat it as the water cools it. You can give it more pressure and get that nice very slick surface that stays slick when you bend the leather. My $.02 based on VERY little experience so far with the tool. I think you should experiment. The worst you can do is trash the burnisher. Then you just order another!

sCIMG3781.jpg

sCIMG3785.jpg

sCIMG3786.jpg

sCIMG3784.jpg

sCIMG3783.jpg

sCIMG3782.jpg

Hey Ivan - is there a discount for fellow Leatherworker.net members? If anybody else is interested - we could possible do a group buy.

great question, I noticed it went up $10 dollars from last week, if there is a discount, I'm in for one, any one else?

I recieved mine also and it works like a champ. It's going to be a real time saver for sure.