Sign in to follow this  

Hello Friends, I have myself in a jam!. I got some purple eco dye from my local supplier and I used it on a belt awhile back in some local areas on the belt it looked just fine, Here is the problem, I used it to color a small hand bag for a young lady and it looks like FAILURE to say the least!. I applied it with a wool dawber in a circular motion and you can see every swirl, over lap and so on,

Prior to applying finish I used a de glasser

Can I get this off?

Can I wipe it down what are my options?

Thanks Bo

Edited by bigorange

I wished i could help you this time.....But the next time you have a large surface to Dye

get one of the PREVAIL SPRAYERS that Tandy sells and use it....no more streaks on your

projects.

I wished i could help you this time.....But the next time you have a large surface to Dye

get one of the PREVAIL SPRAYERS that Tandy sells and use it....no more streaks on your

projects.

Thanks Luke, That is a help, and I was thinking about that when I saw what I had done, ps I told the lady at spotted pony you had sent me to her,, Thanks again!. Bo

I also find applying the dye with a good sized square of the sheepswool scrap Tandy sells works well. Cut the scrap, trim off the wool as much as you can and voila, good applicator.

Learned that from Jim Linnell at a class.

Also, Bo:

something to be aware of... I don't know how long ago you got the purple dye (Tandy eco-flo?), but I believe it was last year that Tandy removed ALL their purple dye because it would turn to grey. It had to be reformulated so it wouldn't deteriorate. The local tandy store was selling theirs for about 50 cents or $1 a bottle just to get rid of it & telling their customers why.

Btw, since eco flo IS water based, water applied with a sponge should help smooth out/weaken the color, so you can then use a preval sprayer as Luke says.

I don't really know how effective deglazer is with water based stuff. You might use oxalic acid to bleach it lighter before use of the preval sprayer (or, like some people here say, use lemon juice?)

russ

Thanks all, here is what I did, and it worked well enough to get me out of the jam, I applied Denatured alcohol via a cotton rag and rubbed the stuffing out of it, then after all the alcohol flashed off, I thinned the dye with a little water and sprayed it with one of my airbrushes,, this morn I checked it and it looks better then ok , not great! , Thanks so much for the help!

Bo the only time i use a daubber is when i have to dye a belt black or do any edges....

SPRAYING IS THE WAY TO GO..... either air brush or prevail sprayer.especially large items.

( have you started on the shirt yet?)