Sign in to follow this  
pete

Please Help! With Rope Border Using A Pointed Figure Tool

can someone explain the correct "spacing" for making a rope border with an F971 pointed figure tool.

I have played with it for months! Sometimes it come out great and other times they don't line up, are too narrow, overlap etc.

I have experimented with my dividers and angles, and can't seem to make it consistent.

I go down one side of the cut and stamp as consistently as possible, turn it over and do the other row. I've tried staggering the strikes as well as centering and slightly off-centering. NOTHING seems to be consistent!

I've tried narrow borders and wider ones. The only good thing about the wider( than the tool) border is that the "crossovers" don't seem to show as badly.

I did do a complete rope border around a wallet once and it turned out (lined up) perfectly, but I can't re-create what I did for some reason

pete

Hi Pete,

I think I know the tool you are referring to, but if it's what I'm thinnking of I'm not sure how you get a rope border from it. Can you post a picture?

Bob

Here is a link that might help you there is text instructions and if you scroll down a little there is a video demonstration. They use the F910 which is about the same as the tool you are using. http://www.leatherlearn.com/

Now I see, and that is a cool effect. I can see how it would take a lot of practice to do it right.

thanks so much. The key seems to be starting the opposite row from the top down and not from the bottom up!

pete

Thanks for sharing the link! I am already trying some of the techniques and getting great results!

Edited by ProCreationz