BHPshooter

Need Help -- Broken Back Piece On Custom Logo Stamp (Pic)

My friend has a custom logo stamp that he wants me to use on a project, but the back plate (I have no idea if that is the correct terminology) is broken. I have learned from bitter experience not to attempt to use a broken tool, so I want to try to repair it, if possible.

The back plate serves as a socket for a stamp handle, and appears to just be glued with epoxy to the actual stamp. I assume it is replaceable, but after several searches of the interwebs, I haven't been able to find any answers.

The piece is marked "Craftool 8510," but that only brings up results for a discontinued stamp.

Can anybody lead me in the right direction?

WP_20140204_001.jpg

post-30093-0-08355400-1391568365_thumb.j

Will a hefty handle work?

I hadn't thought of that. I don't actually own a hefty handle yet, but it's nice to have another option. Thanks! ;) The outside of the socket area doesn't seem to be boogered up too badly.

I don't know what he did with it to break it, but it appears to be made out of pot metal, so you never know.

Take it into a NAPA store, . . . they should have some type of liquid metal, . . . epoxy, . . . bondo, . . . or other product you could rebuild the thing with, . . . build a little ring around it with wood or plastic or heavy aluminum foil, . . . pour the well full, . . . let it set, . . . you will be good to go.

I dropped my 40 year old, . . . aluminum handled, . . . Porter-Cable power saw several years ago, . . . snapped both handles off. Good old liquid metal epoxy, . . . I've used it ever since.

May God bless,

Dwight

8198-00-L.JPG

Less than $10 from Tandy. It fits around the center shaft. and then you use a standard Craftool snap in rod. Even better than using the rod directly.

Cya!

Bob

Edited by BDAZ

JB Weld is a product I have used for years to fix broken metal when welding/brazing wasn't feasible.

Use a C Clamp and a small block to impress the image if feasible.to project size...

When using a C Clamp be cautious of over stamping, you can impress the sides of the stamp if your not carful.. When done correctly the imprint is flawless and superior to "pounding in" the design.

JB Weld is a product I have used for years to fix broken metal when welding/brazing wasn't feasible.

Beat me too it!!!!

Chris

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate all of the help.