ozwizm

New To Leather Crafting, How Do I Start?

Hello everybody, I've been thinking of getting into leather working as a hobby, but also to fulfill my obsession with steampunk things. I have no idea where to start though. I would like to develop the skills necessary to make really cool steampunk masks, bracers, belts, hats, etc. but I don't mind starting small. Can you guys help me figure out what I need to get started? What tools should I get and what kind of leather? I do have a fairly low budget, can I get started with less than fifty dollars, or will I have to save up more before I can even start?

Thanks in advance

Thanks a bunch for replying. All of this looks useful, so I'll definitely look those over more thoroughly when i get the chance.

first thing to do is gain basic knowledge of how to work leather

I would first start out by studying this online text book that covers a vast area of leathewcraft

also you can learn a lot by watching the video tutorials tandy leather factory has on their website

there are a lot of other video tutorials on leather craft on youtubeI would learn everything I can

on how to stitch and lace leather

I would also encourage you to learn how to tool and stamp leather

fifty dollars will not go very far but it will be a start

I would suggest gettinga basic stamping tool set like the one I linked to below

http://springfieldleather.com/29331/Stamping-Tool-Set%2CSLC-Basic-10/

you can often find these starter sets at Ebat and amazon at a discount so it pays to shop around

You will also need stitching tools these tools can also be found at ebay and amazon

you will need dividers for making stitch lines, a adjustable groover, a overstitch wheel

needles waxed cord a chisel for punching stitch holes a stitching awl or if you have a dremel tool

you can make holes with a small drill bit,

you can pick up hole punches at harbor freight tools they also sell a stitching awl pretty cheap

that is just as good as the expensive ones they also have some modeling tools that will be handy for tooling

just look around at diffrent types of tools and see if they can apply to leather crafting.

you will need a stitching pony but you can make one of those for next to nothing.

you will also need to get snaps and fasteners, buckles and other types of hardware depending on which

hardware a certain project will require.

once you have some of the basic tools you will need to buy the leather

you will also need to know which weight of leather you will need for the type of project you want to make

stuff like holsters and belts I use 8 to 9 ounce and belts need to be 10 Oz or thicker

stuff like wallets 4 to 5 oz

you can usually pick up half shoulders for anywhere from 25 to 50 dollars depending on the weight and quality

You should expect to pay roughly 200.00 to get the necessary tools and leather to get a good start in the leather craft

and expect to buy more tools as certain projects will require.

I hope this helped.

Thanks a lot for your replies, I read through as much as I could... It seems a bit overwhelming. I know Tandy Leather's basic leathercraft kit is on sale now, do you think that would be a good place to start rather than from scratch?

honestly those kits are pricey. you cant go wrong by purchasing a couple of pattern packs and follow the

instructions.

you can get single shoulders up to 8 oz leather from your local TLF for around 25 dollars and buy the stitching

and lacing tools and buy a few tooling stamps like a basket weave design and a border stamp then start from there

I think I mentioned getting some scraps to practice your stamping and punching the leather to make sure your

stitch lines are working out right.

Also you can go by your local Wal mart and visit the craft section and you can pick up contact cement,

rubber cement and a product I have found that works well on several types of fabrics including leather

called Beacons Fabri Tac

you can also pick up utility knifes and blades for cutting out your projects from harbor freight they also have a nice littlr rotary hole punch for punching lace holes

later on once you have purchased a collection of the basic tools you can start adding tools as you go and learn.

you will want to invest in a good pair of leather shears sooner or later

Edited by St8LineGunsmith

I would get a couple of the kits, like the cell phone holster or wallet or something else you could use. These usually come with some thread, needles and snaps etc. you can make a pattern of the pieces and then tool or stamp away. The holes are already punched so sew or lace it up. The holes are too big but this means if you screw up lacing ( and you will) un lace it and start over. If you screw up tooling buy a piece of leather trace the pattern out and start over. Do this a couple of times and you will start to get the hang of it. There are a bunch of books at tandy and other places on sewing, lacing, and everything else. Then you can see what you need to get to do the type of tooling or projects that you want. Don't forget to post questions and pictures on here.

Good luck and welcome

David

Here is another interesting link. Shows you can get by without buying a lot of expensive tools http://leatherworker...topic=42981&hl= until you know what you really want. There are many things you can do to work around not having exactly the right tool.

CTG

Absolutley you can start out with a minimal amount of tools and dont have to spend a fortune to get a start

once you have the leather in hand you will be suprised what that will do to get the creative wheels to turning

in your head :Lighten:

And I have to give props to the grumpy old guy for writing up his tutorial. It is spot on :spoton:

and the fork is an excellent stitch spacing tool if you don't want to spring for an overstitch wheel right away.

Edited by St8LineGunsmith