CustomDoug

Needle Not Picking Up Bobbin Thread After The First Loop

I'm having trouble with my Singer 29K machine. It will only pick up the bobbin thread on the first stitch. I only write this here after basically trying tension adjustments. Is there anything obvious that I should look at? The machine worked fine when it arrived to me (was already threaded top and bottom) - this problem came after I rethreaded it and retheaded a fresh bobbin. Sewing two layers of lambskin leather.

The type of thread may be playing a role here, also the size of the thread, and the size of the needle. For the hook to grab the thread, it needs to form a small loop as the needle raises. This is also dependent on the scarf of the needle facing the right direction.

So, things to check first: Scarf on the needle, compatibility of the thread to the machine, winding the thread on the bobbin the right way.

Other than that, the sewing machine gurus will need to make an appearance...

Now paging Art, and Wizcrafts....

My guess is since it sewd b4 you rethreaded it I'd say make sure the needle is threaded from the left to the right.ob

In addition to threading the needle from left to right, make sure that the top thread is going around the little post behind the top tension disks, then around and inside them, clockwise, then out of the disks and through the little loop in front of the take-up and needlebar, then up and through the take-up lever, down the snout, past the little spring in the needlebar, and through the eye of the needle.

The bobbin should feed the thread backwards to the slit in the bobbin case, making a sharp bend back through the slot, then be pulled totally under the little bobbin case spring, up through the hole, through the hole in the center post if yours is the large bobbin case, and up through the hole in the throat plate. There should be some modest tension on the bobbin, but not too much, especially for sewing light weight material.

If there is an adjuster mechanism on the back of the take-up lever assembly, inside the trapeze, make sure you back it off all the way for thin materials. If it is engaged most or all the way in, the take-up lever will pull too much top thread up and may cause skipped stitches in thin material. It is only turned inwards to sew thick or very dense material.

Make sure that your pressor foot has just enough spring pressure to keep from lifting as the needle lifts, but not so much that it squishes thin leather. Also, make sure that the foot goes all the way down, when the lift lever is lowered. The foot does all the work on a Patcher.

Finally, check the spool of thread and make sure that the thread feed off the top of the spool. If you don't have an industrial thread stand, place the thread on the base of the machine and feed the thread up and around the thread peg near the rear of the machine, then on to the lube pot, through its hole and out to the upper tension disk. The little thread post post is for what are known as Patcher spools; about 1 ounce thread weight or #69 bonded nylon thread. Patcher spools are usually sold by shoe supply warehouses.

Make sure that you use the best fit needle for your thread. For #69 thread, that would be a #16 or #18 needle. If your needle is too big the top thread won't for a loop for the bobbin case's pickup point to grab.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Thanks for attempting to tackle my problem guys, I really appreciate it. Can ya'll please take a look at these pics and check that I have the thread routed correctly? One thing I noticed different than your above description (Wizcrafts) is that I can't see how the thread could travel in a clockwise direction around the (through) the disks as you suggested... well yes it can/does on the front tensioner (verticle) but not on the top tensioner (horizontal). At that location I have it going around the post then counter-clockwise before heading down to the other tensioner (see 1st & 2nd pics). The other differnce that I noticed is that you mentioned a spring that the thread goes through before it goes through the needle - but I have no spring there (see my 4th pic). BTW, the scarf of the needle is facing left (see 3rd pic).

dsc003801.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dsc003821.th.png

dsc003861.th.png

dsc003871.th.png

Edited by CustomDoug

This machine is threaded incorrectly. The top tensioner is supposed to be wrapped around clockwise, after the thread goes around the post on top, behind the tension disks. From there it feeds to a curly spring in front of the needlebar, then up to the take-up lever. The lower tension disks are called "darning tensioners" and are only used when the feed is lifted off the material and the work is moved by hand (darning). The thread would go directly to the darning disks, not through the upper tensioners.

The upper tension disks have their pressure relieved when you lift the pressor foot lift lever. The front darning disks are never loosened by the machine. Unless you are darning, only use the top tensioner and reverse the direction of the thread. Go around the little post behind the disk, turn a sharp turn and feed it into the top tensioners clockwise. Do not go down to the darning disks.

The needle is backwards. The scarf above the eye must face to the right. That is causing the skipped stitches.

WOW, you got me sewing in about two minute ! I fooled around with this thing for hours before reading that. Thanks, it's sure nice having friends who know what they're talking about.