Lobo

Traditional Hammer Thong. Design And Use.

Over the years I have had many requests for holsters equipped with the traditional hammer thong retention device. I have noticed that very few people seem to understand how the thong is supposed to work.

Basically, a simple loop of leather thong that fits over the hammer spur to keep the revolver in the holster during strenuous activities, but can be taken off easily to allow rapid access to the revolver when needed.

I use a thong cut from 7/8 oz. cowhide about 1/8" in width. This needs to be long enough to allow connection to the holster and form the loop slightly longer than the hammer spur rises above the holster mouth. I mount the thong with two holes punched into the back side of the holster in line with the point where the cylinder and frame meet. Tips of the thong can be cut on a slight taper to ease passage through the holes. Holes need to be slightly undersize so that the thong is held securely.

In use the thong is not tightened down to where it must be forced over the hammer spur. The thong is left a bit longer to ease the process of securing and releasing the revolver. For good retention the thong is just twisted a time or two with the fingers, which places tension on the leather and keeps it securely in place while allowing easy removal with the thumb or fingertip.

Photos show the Threepersons style holster with traditional hammer thong made for a Colt Single Action Army revolver.

post-7487-0-31369700-1435596014_thumb.jp

post-7487-0-86025900-1435596038_thumb.jp

post-7487-0-26710400-1435596053_thumb.jp

post-7487-0-69321500-1435596071_thumb.jp

Here is another one just coming out of the shop. Threepersons, lined, floral carved with black inked background.

post-7487-0-25781500-1435598425_thumb.jp

post-7487-0-90501900-1435598440_thumb.jp

Thanks for the information.

Thanks I'd looked for this and didn't find much...