Sign in to follow this  
Pip

Undercutting tools

Well i got some, and used them and i am relatively pleased with the result but...i don't really know what I am doing and the cuts are a bit untidy in places.

My question is do you depress into the leather by pushing down at an angle or straight in to the raised and bevelled piece or do i cut from side to side after initial cut in.

do we have a tutorial handy ?

le_029.jpg

post-3537-1203171813_thumb.jpg

Well i got some, and used them and i am relatively pleased with the result but...i don't really know what I am doing and the cuts are a bit untidy in places.

My question is do you depress into the leather by pushing down at an angle or straight in to the raised and bevelled piece or do i cut from side to side after initial cut in.

do we have a tutorial handy ?

I've never really used undercutting tools, but here's a link to a lesson on the South Central Leather Crafter Guild website: Pro-petal Lesson

Maybe you'll find something helpful there. . .

L'Bum

You can use a regular undercut beverler, Tandy has one but not really very good. Suggest you buy a set from Berry King. The other way you can do it is to use a pro Pedal tool. I think Tandy discontinued these but not for sure. You can wiggle the Pro Pedal under the edge of the leather between the cut an lift one edge. You acctually split the leather a little and lift 1/2 of it up to give it a 3-d look.

Randy

L'Bum - thanks for the tutorial link! I liked it.

Pip - The tutorial answers all your questions. Remember though - the Pro Petal tool is essentially a knife. Keep it sharp! (btw - Tandy dropped the tool from their lineup)

I've seen lots of people make their own from round shank screwdrivers. This would give you the option to make tools with different angles, shank sizes, etc. if you need something other than what you have.

I actually made mine from cheapo Harbor Freight scratch awls. I took the tip to the bench grinder and gave it the tip I needed and then buffed. I then sharpened them on a stone and then made sure the heel was still smooth by going over that part on the buffing wheel again. Total cost: $4.00. Total time: 30 minutes to do four of different sizes.

I believe Hide Crafter still sells the pro petal tool, in 2 sizes. Haven't looked at there catalog in a while though.

thanks guys as usual everyone so helpful. Thanks for the tutorial link, and stuff on making my own tools.