Markwell

New To Leatherwork, A Few Questions On Supplies For The Old Cats

Howdy there!

I have been interested in getting into leatherwork for a while now. I have been braiding for a few years, so I would like to use some of that in working with leather.

The main question I have is getting the actual leather and rawhide. Since I am completely new, I have no way of judging price, quality and such.

For example, I have been looking into rawhide lace. A 5/32 inches wide, 20 yard long spool costs up to 30$ which is at least in my opinion extremely expensive.

So, back on topic where do you get your leather and lace and how much do you expect to pay?

I know there are many grades of leather and thicknesses, as well as sources. But what do you recommend for beginners?

The second question is on the actual tools you use. Is there a company you trust as far as quality goes?

Thank you in advance for your replies,

Mark

Mark,

You'll get tons of replies. I too just started. Use the search function for posts I started and that will give you an idea.

I started with a project in mind and asked here what I needed.

Kevin

I'd recommend learning how to cut your own lace from a rawhide round, kangaroo hide, etc.

The pre-cut rawhide lace I've bought from springfield, tandy, etc. has been straight up garbage...it has frequent breaks in it, extremely inconsistent thickness which makes it difficult to split...just impossible to use.

Good luck...

I haven't bought it in a couple of years, but Kangaroo lace from Springfield Leather has worked fine for us. We do run it through Pecard's before we use it.

Art

You might call the folks at Springfield Leather and explain the issues you are having, especially with their product. They have always been super helpful to me. If the product you are using isn't working to your satisfaction I'm sure they will have options.