rmr

Saddle Seat Bow / Stick?

Does anyone know of someone who is currently making or selling saddle seat slicks - or as some call them a bow or seat stick???

The company that bought Hidecrafters has one- but per their web site its onlt 10" long. That seems short to me

Thanks

RMR

Do you know who bought Hidecrafter, their contact info, etc.?

I heard Kevin Kolasch at Double K Leather bought HideCrafters recently. I don't know what all he has moved to St Louis yet, but worth a call to see if he has any. I have one of HideCrafters seat sticks and it is about 24 inches at least. Pretty Ok piece of lumber.

Hi Bruce

I did talk to Kevin at Double K leather. They currently dont have any bows, and the guy that made them - evidently isnt currently making any more- something about cocobola wood being toxic????? Kevin was going to call him back and see if he can make them out of another wood species. Will let you know what I find out

RMR

Some people do have pretty severe reactions to the dust from cocobola along with other woods. I think when Big Sky Dies were still in Michigan they were having them made from hard rock maple. There's a guy on Ebay from Utah that has one listed about every week. He works with some exotic woods it looks like.

made mine using 3/4" plexi glass. Works like a charm.

I made two different shapes of seat bows. I made them out of 3/4 pvc. I just heated the pvc over the stove until pliable,then shaped it over the seat on a bare tree to get the shape I wanted. Sand with 400 grit and polish with rubbing compound. Only took 15 minutes each and they work GREAT. I'll post pics if there is interest. I make a lot of my tools.

Mine is elk antler. I had to look through a few til I found a piece with the right curve. Was from the brow tine up to the fork on a big 4 pt raghorn. Then smooth out with green rouge on a cloth buffing wheel. Mule deer racks should also provide the right size and shape on the terminal forks of 4 pt main frames.