Sign in to follow this  
digitone

Finish On Veg Tanned Leather?

Hello everyone! I am quite new to leatherworking. I just finished my second project out of my Tandy Beginner Kit :) Loving it! I have a question. I have looked through the boards and searched, but haven't found an answer. The kit comes with Veg Tanned leather. I love the look and feel of it as is, but I would like to protect it as well. What finish would be best, without altering the color and feel of the leather? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Digitone, welcome to the site.

I think this is a matter of personal preference. I like Satin Shene -- an understated, water-resistant acrylic finish. Another nice option is Leather Balm with Atom Wax, which imparts a nice, mellow finish. There are lots of other options, but personally, you'll be better off if you try a few for yourself. You'll know the right one when you see it.

Good luck!

Digitone, welcome to the site.

I think this is a matter of personal preference. I like Satin Shene -- an understated, water-resistant acrylic finish. Another nice option is Leather Balm with Atom Wax, which imparts a nice, mellow finish. There are lots of other options, but personally, you'll be better off if you try a few for yourself. You'll know the right one when you see it.

Good luck!

thank you for the help! I picked up a bottle of the Leather Balm w/ Atom Wax. Haven't used it yet but will give it a go tomorrow.

On certain items recently (moderate to high wear) I have been adding an extra step to the process and it seems to be working out well. Dye > Resoline > Mink Oil > Fiebing's wax. The Mink Oil, in theory, should add a bit more water resistance to the piece. So far it has worked out nicely.