Sign in to follow this  
apex

New machine help/question

My situation is this... I want to upgrade my sewing machine in order to allow for more varied projects. Current machine is a $100 Wal-Mart Singer special. I have taken care of it and it has lasted a while, but I don't want to break it by asking it to take on some of the larger tasks I am contemplating. I'd rather just move on to a new machine and save the current machine from taking a beating so it can handle some of the smaller tasks.

Basically, I am looking to do more with making bags and the like - canvas, denier nylon, leather - and I would like to buy something that will take some regular use and abuse (with good care, of course). I don't have in mind going greater than 3/8" in thickness of material.

Some side projects that I would be interested in experimenting with, but have zero experience in, would be belts, wallets, dog supplies... don't really care for my current holster, although that seems like a stretch for a rookie... but, you never know. Saddles and such heavy, heavy stuff are not on the list. (Not on the sewing list, but on the "shoot, that is bad***!" list would be learning to do tooling like I saw on links on the front page of leatherworker.net, and learning to do leather inlay like the gameboards I saw on one member's site - sorry forget who that was.)

Just so you know that I made an effort to read a few posts before throwing my question up here, I understand that a cylinder arm machine would probably be up my alley, athough I would like to keep in under $1500. I am thinking I need a serger, too, but that is for another board.

Thanks for having me and for your time. I greatly appreciate any input.

Could admin move this to the "leather sewing machines" forum? I posted in the wrong spot. Thanks/sorry.

Hello Apex, there are many reputable companies that sell the type of machine that you need. The machine you need is a compound feed machine. Which is a needle feed, walking foot machine. All of the compound feed machines come with a feed dog as well. Most are capable of sewing 3/8". Call me at 1-866-962-9880 and I will give you the name of the closest dealer to you that sells this type of machine. Thanks, Steve

Anyone out there who doesn't sell sewing machines care to weigh in on this one? (Not knocking the folks who do sell 'em who replied to the OP - eventually I will have to come around to ya - just looking for unbiased opinion). Thanks all.

well last year I jumped off the deepend and bought a compound foot machine that will sew 3/4 in. I LOVE IT works great and beeing biger i dont have to worry about can the machine sew it. Save your change and bet a nice big one to do the job you will love it in the long run

Russ

Steve is telling you what you need, not what will get you by in a pinch. He's one of the best tech's in the business.

Call Steve.

You will please notice that he wrote:"...and I will give you the name of the closest dealer to you that sells this type of machine," and not "you need to buy model X."

Steve is in the postition to know what's needed, and who to go to to get it. I'm pretty sure I could do an online search and have 10 different models inside of 5 minutes, but there's a catch: Most if not all of this class of machine are set up for factory production work....at factory production work speeds.

Sure you can run them more slowly, but it takes a good bit more effort/skill. You'll want one of the larger sized machines that's set up for leather.

This can include a speed reducer (pully) and/or a DC motor with adjustable max speed. You don't want a machine that goes from zero to 'help, I sewed myself to the leather!' inside of one second. Not everybody knows how to do it, and unless you're a mechanic (or similarly inclined) it's better to just get the whole thing set up by folks that know what they're doing.

Yes, Steve is a businessman. However, his reputation preceeds him for a reason, and he's an incredible asset to this forum. There are other's of course: Kevin at Springfield Leather, Ryan Neel of Neel's Saddlery, Dave at Artisan, the list goes on. Art (forum moderator) is another good source.

Superchute wasn't steering you wrong with the advice to get more machine than you think you need. I've priced several models, found what appears to be a good deal, then realized that I'd be better off just getting a good heavy duty machine to begin with, and only having to buy one (more) that will do a very wide range of projects.

There's nothing like getting to the end of a project where you've had to hand crank the machine through almost every hole and realizing that 245 stitches ago, the hook missed the thread (leather too thick/ timing is off for that thickness)it's pulled loose, and you've got to go back and restitch something. It's a real eye opener.

So, I write again....Call Steve. It's an 800 number, won't cost anything, and the advice you get may just put you on the machine you need.

Oh, I'm not affiliated w/ Steve/Cobra/LMC, nor am I a customer. But as soon as I can, I will be.

Edited by TwinOaks

Anyone out there who doesn't sell sewing machines care to weigh in on this one? (Not knocking the folks who do sell 'em who replied to the OP - eventually I will have to come around to ya - just looking for unbiased opinion). Thanks all.

Hi... I sell machines, but I can give you some advice that I learned the hard way... First of all, I've got to say that it seems like you're approaching the machine issue with the right attitude. Your price point is reasonable. For what it's worth, if possible, when buying an industrial sewing machine, buy a NEW one... You might be able to deal with the issues that come with used machines if you're a sewing machine person, but if you're not, a used one will certainly make you become one quickly. (at least usually) Another tip is to make sure that you buy your machine from someone that you really have a good feeling for. All sewing machines come with a pretty decent warranty anymore, but those things aren't what's going to get you thru a difficulty. The person that you buy it from is going to be your lifeline, should you need one. In mentioning what you're wanting to do with the machine that you buy, you said one word that perked my attention: Holsters. I got the impression that sewing holsters wasn't critical, but that you wouldn't mind being able to do it. If you can eliminate the "holsters" thing, then a good heavy duty flatbed machine will do what you want. Steve sells several good models, and so does Artisan. In my opinion, if you decide to buy a new one from either of those folks, you'll do well. For Artisan, I think it's the 618-1SC, and I think Steve calls his an 18 class. Both are walking foot, needle feed machines with safety clutch features, and they're set up for leather. They're extremely user friendly, and will do what you're wanting. As long as you don't go trying to sew super heavy holsters or sheaths. If you're going to do that, you just need a different machine, period. Feel free to call if you have questions. I'll make sure I don't try to sell you a machine! (unless you want me too!) :) Happy sewing!!!

Kevin Hopkins

Thanks Twin Oaks, Elton, and Kevin, I appreciate it.lol

Here is my two cents and the story of my sewing machine journey. I started with a WalMart Singer. Just something to sew canvas and light deersking together making pouches and stuff. Then I decided that I wanted something with more Ooomph. I bid on a used Gov't surplus machine online. I won and when I got it well it looked like it had been shoved out of a plane without a parachute and then laid in a salt plain for a year. so then I bought a used "industrial strength" machine locally. It had been set up to do upholstery leather and do it fast fast fast!!! It was near impossible to control and when it started acting up I had no one to help me out. It also didn't do the work that I was wanting to do now, holsters, stirrup bindings, chaps and such. It really was the wrong machine from the get go. I hadn't done a through job researching what I wanted and needed.

I talked to a few people, I read all the forums and reviews. At the tradeshow I visited with the dealers. To me an important factor was the character of the dealer and the service after the sale. I did buy a cylinder machine and I am pleased as heck with it. I haven't used it for a long time,as I just got it, but two saddle bags, a belt lining and a sword scabbard later I can say I am not sorry for my choice in machine. it has excess capability but I won't be wanting for a bigger machine in the future that way. True to form the dealer I bought from was honest and followed up on the sale with above and beyond customer service. So if there is a trade show near you go and check out who is there and talk to them. Or give Steve or Kevin a call. There is a lot of good info here too.

I don't like getting on this,my spelling is not that good. I have only been in this just a short while I started working leather last april. I got what I thought would be a good machine,It was and is still great!

It is a cobra class 18 after a few vest,a few holsters,saddle baggs, well you know how it starts. With in a few mounths the machine was to small,7/16 ths of an inch just does not cut it.I got my cobra 4 in january

I have had it two and a half months My sales whent from this to 4 times this.If you can swing it get the beast,and I do mean beast this machine eats up leather. I work with a lot of horse butt,4 layers of this and you don't even know it. to have the 16 inch throught it's is great . And let me add this to Big O thanks for your kind words on my first holster. Art you where right about the wife and the cobra 18, but that's ok I got my cobra 4! By the way the cobra 18 was my first machine, veary low learning curve,turne it on and run with it.

Gary C.