Sign in to follow this  
Tree Reaper

Cb4500 Help

The 4500 doesn't come with illustrated parts or assembly instructions and I have a few pieces that I'm not sure what they are or where they belong.

There is what I think is an optional table but I don't know where it goes or what it's for.

post-19342-064069800 1328065893_thumb.jp

Next is a box with what looks like a thread guide.

post-19342-027665200 1328066083_thumb.jp

I figured out where the casters go on my own. :helpsmilie:

Thanks.

Kevin.

Edited by Tree Reaper

Ha ha ha Jjum! I had the same problem when I got my CB 4500!

Lots of parts! HAHAHAHUMYou_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Just call Bob or Ryan HAHAHHUM!

They will sort them out for you!

Parts are good!

grouphug5vj5.gif

Kevin Good laugh!

The top one is a table of sorts. It sides on your arm. I'm not sure how fastens. The second one is a wax pot it fits on the top of machine in front of the top thread guide. You should see a couple of bolt holes. You put thread lube in it and run your sewing thread through it.

OK...... so I cannot stop laughing! You got the idea that the castors go on the down side. Good work.

Next, Look at the pictures!

Your table does not need to be put on. Actually I took mine off and it works better.

IF you decide to raise your table, shut of the power! Ask me why?

Needles are stronger than fingernails.

Next, be sure to follow instructions for threading. Once through the silver thing, One and a half around and back through the silver thingy.

Have fun, it's a GREAT MACHINE.

The table top attachment has four screw holes on the bottom right side. You should have received a package with four 6" long threaded rods, 8 nuts and washers and four plastic hand screw caps. Install a threaded rod into each screw hole in the wood. Then install a washer and nut and tighten them against the wood. Install another nut on the other end of each rod, about 2 inches up. When you are ready to use the table, slide it over the cylinder arm until the cutout reaches the inside right of the body. Slip a washer onto the ends of the rods, then push down the attachment so that the four threaded rods go through four holes in the pedestal table. Use the plastic thumbscrews to secure the table top to the pedestal.

post-11118-027280900 1328071145_thumb.jp

The lube pot has two holes on opposite sides, front to rear, plus a thread guide wire. To use it add silicon thread lube to the pot (after securing it to the top of the machine with an enclosed heavy bolt). With the lid lifted, insert your thread into the right side hole in the lid, then down, through the hole in the pseudopod, then up through the left lid hole and close the lid. Feed the thread through the wire loop, on to the top tension disks.

Lube will spill out the top if the machine shakes, so leave a couple of paper towels on the machine's floor plate, behind the speed pedal.

post-11118-067930900 1328071203_thumb.jp

Edited by Wizcrafts

You put thread lube in it and run your sewing thread through it.

Ok, I had no idea about that, do all threads require the lubrication?

That picture you posted helps Wiz, I looked at the Toledo video and didn't see the lube box.

I'll be out logging today but I'll have another look at it when I get back.

Thanks all for the help.

Kevin.

Ok, I had no idea about that, do all threads require the lubrication?

That picture you posted helps Wiz, I looked at the Toledo video and didn't see the lube box.

I'll be out logging today but I'll have another look at it when I get back.

Thanks all for the help.

Kevin.

Apparently, the lube pots were out of stock for a long time, so the machines on the website were photographed without them. I don't know if they will be regularly available or not, or if new ones will be made of cast iron, or plastic. These pots were originally part of the full-Monty accessory packages.

You probably don't need one, unless you sew through dry, dense leather, or sew veg-tan, bridle, or Latigo leather at speeds of 10 per inch or faster. Silicon lube cools the needle and makes it easier to form the knots inside the leather. Leather sewers are beginning to realize the benefits of using pre-lubricated thread, which negates the need for lube pots.

You MIGHT have to make a small notch on the bottom of the table to go around the thumb screw that holds a cover on the lower front of the machine. I had to, but maybe the person doing the router work just sneezed when they were doing mine. It would not go on otherwise.

Wiz;

The thread that Bob sent is pre lubed.

Catskin;

Are you using the flatbed table and if so, for what purpose?

The one that was shipped to me is missing a threaded insert, it only came with three instead of four.

If there's a use for the top I'll try and get it fixed.

Kevin.

Edited by Tree Reaper

Tree reaper,

Yes there is a definite advantage to having the table. While I haven't used mine much I would be looking at making one if I didn't have it. My wife used it when she sewed my elk hide vest. You will find it very handy if you sew pieces more than 4 inchs wide or soft things, it keeps them from hanging of the end and tending to pull the work so you get crooked stitch lines.

Phone Bob he will surely send you the other bolt.

Wiz;

The thread that Bob sent is pre lubed.

Catskin;

Are you using the flatbed table and if so, for what purpose?

The one that was shipped to me is missing a threaded insert, it only came with three instead of four.

If there's a use for the top I'll try and get it fixed.

Kevin.

I just had it fired up and it worked quite well considering I've never touched a sewing machine before.

The bobbin thread is getting caught in the bottom stitches but I think it's the way the threads are held when starting to stitch.

The operators manual needs some work because there isn't much there for a novice operator, I got much of the information I needed from the videos Bob has.

Bob did a good job of setting it up.

I'd like to get a good book on sewing leather with a machine if anyone is aware of one.

Kevin.

Kevin,

Read everything on here that Wiz, Bob Kovar, Steve, Ron, and many others have written about sewing with a machine. An absolute fount of information.

ferg

I just had it fired up and it worked quite well considering I've never touched a sewing machine before.

The bobbin thread is getting caught in the bottom stitches but I think it's the way the threads are held when starting to stitch.

The operators manual needs some work because there isn't much there for a novice operator, I got much of the information I needed from the videos Bob has.

Bob did a good job of setting it up.

I'd like to get a good book on sewing leather with a machine if anyone is aware of one.

Kevin.

I agree Ferg, I wish it was all published in an organized format as it is a wealth of information.

I try to print out any posts by these guys when pertaining to different situations etc. concerning the machines. One of these days I will put them in a binder

with each persons name on the front. Notice I said one of these days.

ferg

I agree Ferg, I wish it was all published in an organized format as it is a wealth of information.

The machine seems to be stitching well but I'm getting a slight line to the right of the stitch line, any idea what to adjust to reduce or eliminate this mark?

Thanks.

post-19342-057505500 1328216535_thumb.jp

You probably need to adjust the foot pressure.

I try to adjust so the leather still moves and the machine doesn't skip any stitches. It is a fine line to adjust.

ferg

The machine seems to be stitching well but I'm getting a slight line to the right of the stitch line, any idea what to adjust to reduce or eliminate this mark?

Thanks.

Witch foot/plate combo do you have going on there? I don't want to guess the answer and screw you up from the very beginning!

Kevin

OK got beat to the post. Yeh that's PROBABLY it. The post pressure.

Move it A LITTLE and sew the same weight leather and see if it helps.

Kevin

Edited by KAYAK45

I backed the pressure off six complete turns and it was still leaving a black mark, turns out to be oil running down and ending up getting on the bottom of the foot and staining the leather.

I backed the pressure off six complete turns and it was still leaving a black mark, turns out to be oil running down and ending up getting on the bottom of the foot and staining the leather.

Hey Tree Reaper, did you not pay extra for the table extension??

Hahahahum..been there, done that. When you put it to bed at night, place a piece of cardboard or such and lower your foot. That helps collect the excessive oil used by a newbie. I know how?

Turn it back down six turns!

Edited by KAYAK45

Yaaah!

I try to remember that also but the gray matter doesn't register all the time so I have to wipe it off with a paper towel after I screw something up. LOL

ferg

Hahahahum..been there, done that. When you put it to bed at night, place a piece of cardboard or such and lower your foot. That helps collect the excessive oil used by a newbie. I know how?

Yes I paid for it and I have it but I haven't installed it yet.

Hey Tree Reaper, did you not pay extra for the table extension??

Yes, I made a point of marking it and counting the turns.

I started with a half turn and kept going up to six but it wasn't having any affect so I started looking at other possibilities.

The cardboard is a good idea, thanks.

Back to the oil leaking down the foot post, I also have to take the thread out of the thread pot to prevent the oil from wicking down thread. This happened to me on day i had a puddle of silicone oil on the bed.

I use 100% silicone copier oil for my thread lube.

Yes I paid for it and I have it but I haven't installed it yet.

Yes, I made a point of marking it and counting the turns.

I started with a half turn and kept going up to six but it wasn't having any affect so I started looking at other possibilities.

The cardboard is a good idea, thanks.