Sign in to follow this  
bruce johnson

eating where the hides come from

Alright, Monkey got us going with the steak-quest. So as to not hijack that thread, I noticed the south end of my north facing Ford tonight. There on the left is Beef, It's What's For Dinner. But, what do these producers do for us? And what should we as leather folk be thinking?

Beef, It's What's For Dinner - and each steer consumed is two sides of leather.

Got Milk? - and when those cows are done, they yield big spready hides with few brands

Eat American Lamb - we could use the woolskins

Try Goat (cabrito) - It really is pretty good, and the hide makes a dandy lining.

Pork, The Other White Meat - Makes a pretty good leather too. Besides the real white meat is chicken - no flavor and nobody tans chicken hides except on the grill.

Ostrich, The Low Cholesterol Alternative - Ok, this meat is not very good, but the hides are really cool.

The Cordovan people have fallen behind. I haven't seen any ad campaign to eat more horse butts.

I was thinking something similar... whenever I see a field of cattle, I actually see racks of tanned leather. Ha! But meat is also an addiction of mine. :evillaugh:

Kate