acox4t4

Anyone Willing To Teach Me Close To Kansas

Howdy All, I'm not real good at learing from a book, I'm more hands on or watching someone work type learner. Is there anyone in Kansas or near that would be willing to show me their tools of the trade of rawhide making, braiding ect?? I'm single female, no kids (well 3-dogs and 1-cat I guess are considered my kids) have two jobs so only have one day off a week to get away for a lesson so needs to be somewhat close to where I live. I'm more then willing to pay for the lessons, your time ect I'm not looking for free advice. I'm hoping to learn this craft so that I can get rid of my part time job and do this instead. I was doing wood working scroll sawing. post-16420-074798600 1283691437_thumb.jp one of my projects but just never could get them sold. So going to try something else.

Thanks Annette

HI Annette;;

where in kansas are you?? while you wait for a response,,check the tandy site for a store near you,, they should know of guilds close by and perhaps teach in the store ....hopes this helps....regards...Doc...

Hi Annette,

I see you're in Salina, which is my home town. The Sante Fe Leather Guild meets in Topeka once a month, but I don't know if anyone there knows anything about making rawhide; I'm pretty sure there's someone who can help you get started with braiding, though. I'm in Manhattan, and have done a little braiding, but don't know anything about rawhide. There are other leatherworkers farther east, around Topeka, Lawrence, and Kansas City, and I'm sure there are probably several in Wichita, since there is a Tandy store there.

Kate

im too far from you but ill be glad to answer any questions. i dont work much rawhide but braid alot of kangaroo and other stuff like paracord. i believe there are a couple of pretty good rawhiders on this board, maybe one of them is close enough to help.

:You_Rock_Emoticon: Thank you all for some great ideas. Yes I think I did notice that there is a Tandy store in Wichita so that will be my first call since I'm in Salina which is only about

1 1/2 hours drive. I ordered my first rawhide from Tandy but didn't thank about them to call to see if they give lessons.:specool: I'm like a sponge and wanting to soak up all the information I can, I love this site has a ton of good stuff. I've learned alot from everyones post. I'm so excited to try out some of this stuff I'm learning from ya all but so little time.

:You_Rock_Emoticon: Thank you all for some great ideas. Yes I think I did notice that there is a Tandy store in Wichita so that will be my first call since I'm in Salina which is only about

1 1/2 hours drive. I ordered my first rawhide from Tandy but didn't thank about them to call to see if they give lessons.:specool: I'm like a sponge and wanting to soak up all the information I can, I love this site has a ton of good stuff. I've learned alot from everyones post. I'm so excited to try out some of this stuff I'm learning from ya all but so little time.

Hello and good luck. Rawhide braiding is a real neat thing to learn. Try khww.net for some knot tutorials etc Bill Conafer at Herford by Products in Herford ,Texas for rawhide. Jay Adcock 620-725-3302 maybe , for a little instruction.TCAA auction at the end of September at the Cowboy Hall Of Fame in OKC . There will be a lot of good hands there and it's a treat to see some great work. I don't know your skill level or where you're at in your journey but you need to learn some skills required for this art. U Braid it .com has some nice books along with the Encyclopedia of Rawhide Braiding by Bruce Grant. Good Luck, Clint Haverty

Hi Annette.

I see you're very good with that wood. If I had the wood and the tools I think I would be trying to combine the two together to enhance both. Just an idea that might be of some help.

Brian...

:thankyou: Thanks for the compliment on the wood, my biggest project was cutting out the lords prayer. Used walnut wood, then glued it to a mirror backing, and framed it. Gave it to my grandmother as a gift, when she passed it went to my parents. The idea of combining them is very interesting, I have several western patterns that I could cut out then maybe put some leather frame around it. Very interesting idea, good brain storming on your part. I've got the KHWW on my favorites now. :thumbsup:post-16420-001561300 1283781661_thumb.jp

I would love to put a frame around that one. Just awsome work Annette. By the work you put into your wood work, you should be a good braider by the time your done learning. Hence the learning will never stop. If the learning stops, the master should stop and learn again.

Brian...