natenaaron

What Is Belly Leather Good For?

I've been looking and not finding the answer. Is it just scrap from a side that you folks toss in the bin?

in my experience belly leather is good for small pieces for the most part. Some problems with it include irregular thickness and strange grain patterns that cause the leather to wrinkle and worse. But if you own a splitter you can get a consistent thickness at least. I made several dice cups out of veg tan belly from Tandy. Turned out nice. Straps and bands are also doable. Coasters, key fobs and the like are all small and can be cut from belly.

Thanks for the answer I appreciate it.

I make my belts and dog collars, etc out of the belly which they put a straight edge on. Makes using a strap cutter easier. I use the ones from Springfield Leather Company and haven't had a problem with stretching etc. using the firm parts. Cheryl

I generally buy backs... sides with the belly already removed. Sure it has a purpose though. Hmmm....

Put it inside the shop door, place to wipe yer feet when you come in out the rain.

Use it to cover the bench, in case you spill some dye.

Makes small but good smelling curtains.

Wickett / Craig will sell you the bellies for about $15 if I remember rightly. Even at that price, I dont buy 'em. http://www.wickett-craig.com/

there was a time when i couldn't get enough of this . i was building custom wrist and leg and ankle gauntletts . if you want to mold extreme amounts this is what you'll find you need. your able to work it into the tight areas . and not show any wrinkles.

now I am a noob to all of this, but after reading a lot here I thought I could use some for mock ups before jumping in and doing the real thing to make sure my pattern was ok, glued it up threw a few stitches in it adjusted where need be then used it as the actual pattern, save a tree and use the belly.

I woulnd't use them for anything that would stretch and cause problems with the product. I'd limit it to small projects. Knife sheaths, Coasters, bracelets/cuffs, practice pieces (for swivel knife practice). I try to get the most out of every piece.

I've used bellies for some decorative pieces before. I usually don't fool with them

I use them for backing on alot of my belts. The cowboys around here think it's cool to have the tick bites, scars and brand marks on them, of course I use grade B HO backs for the tooling side.

Edited by Troy Burch

I bought a couple of sides. Not sure why, since I always buy backs. But, i wanted to see what the leather looks like from Weaver, and I didn't see where they sell backs. :dunno:

But, i'm not going to use them, so they are available to someone who does. Both are over 6' long, one is 7/8 and one is 8/9.

BOTH for $40 and actual shipping. Pics shortly ....

i'm game what color natural and or black how do want to do this

319 939 3934

Natural Hermann Oak tooling leather bellies. Paypal works. Still gonna git some pics.. soon as some of the neighbors go home ;)

either call or i have some questions what is the footage? if your in iowa where? if this is oak how much scarring and folds? was out west for years ,used mc pherson or the brother in billings mt at montana leather they sell a lot of leather the the boot and saddle makers from id. wy. mt sd probley some in nd mc phersons in portland

i saw a post the other day about some one looking for good rawhide .can't seem to find the post since. montana leather sells about 7 different types cow goat elk dear pig and bleached these are full hides they have pre cut lace and i'm sure i've missed ssomething

This is just tooling leather bellies. I don't use the belly, but the folks in this discussion do, so instead of me moving it out of my way and other folks not having it.... ;)

Not me about the rawhide, though.. not sure who that would have been.

And I'm in Fort Dodge.

friends in zerring they have the art in the park

They're about 80" long and the 'skinny' part (where the tape measure is) is 18". I'm gonna say that makes for about 11 or 12 feet of leather. Still, it's just bellies.

Pick it up here is fine if you like...

I only took the second picture of the other end of the leather so you could see it's all nice light even color -- first picture is just a shadow making it look darker (it isn't).

Edited by JLSleather

Box for the bellies is abt 17" x 7" x 7" and weighs 6 lbs.

Shipped from 50501

if I get over that way I might stop in if that's OK .THINK I'LL PASS ON THE leather should be a good buy for some one though sorry

Not to worry -- it's in a box out of the way now, ;)

Hi do you still have the leather ? If so what it cost to ship to 77089 I am interested to purchase it

Hi do you still have the leather ? If so what it cost to ship to 77089 I am interested to purchase it

Yep, still sitting here in a sealed box. Looks like post office just a tad cheaper than UPS. Says $14 and change, but I think it would fit in a med. priority box for $12. Since it aint worth $2 for me to unpack and repack, I'll just eat the couple $ ;)

So, call it $50 total and I'll ship it to Houston :dunno:

Edited by JLSleather

Sounds good how do we do the pay pal