barra

Carlos border

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to evenly lay out a Carlos border so that all impressions are evenly spaced and the last couple of impressions as you come to a corner don't have to be crept in or slightly extended. I hope that made sense.

Barra

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to evenly lay out a Carlos border so that all impressions are evenly spaced and the last couple of impressions as you come to a corner don't have to be crept in or slightly extended. I hope that made sense.

Barra

Barra,

I have found the best way to evenly lay out border stamps is to start at the ends and work to the middle. I hope this helps.

Michael

Had to look up what a carlos border was.... appears to be just like any meandeing tool border. The using the meander article that I found was called "MASTERING THE MEANDER' by Dusty Johnson.

It can be found in the Mar./Apr. 2003 LC&SJ, page 30.

If you dont have that issue let me know and I will see if I can get it for you

Thanks guys. I have been experimenting and decided to try and apply the motor trimmers principal of always work from your centres. I made my initial impressions at each corner. I then measured from the inside edge of one corner impression to the inside edge of the opposite corner impression. I then found dead centre and placed the centre of the tool on centre. I then just kept repeating the process of finding the centre between impressions and again placed the centre of the tool there. Once the initial row was complete and spacing worked out, the second row to form the meander was easy.

Thanks Michael, you turned the light on.

Barra

Edited by barra

Good Morning Folks! I am trying to find a carlos border stamp. Doesn't seem to be readily available. Anyone know where i can purchase one?

Barry King Tools has a good selection, I'm sure Wayne Jueschke and Bob Beard also make them.

Barra:

I have a lot of success with Wayne's tutorial. I hope this helps.

http://www.slideshar...-stamp-tutorial

post-6330-067425800 1331520575_thumb.jpg

Nice! helped me! :)

Barra:

Thank you very much appreciated.

Thanks guys. I have been experimenting and decided to try and apply the motor trimmers principal of always work from your centres. I made my initial impressions at each corner. I then measured from the inside edge of one corner impression to the inside edge of the opposite corner impression. I then found dead centre and placed the centre of the tool on centre. I then just kept repeating the process of finding the centre between impressions and again placed the centre of the tool there. Once the initial row was complete and spacing worked out, the second row to form the meander was easy.

Thanks Michael, you turned the light on.

Barra

That is ingenious, thanks. never thought of that. New tool for me.

Jon

Barra:

In your photo you are using the stamp between two boader beads. I am assuming that the bead lines are cut and beveled on both sides before applying the boarder stamp correct. Also thanks for the tutorial.

Jon

Edited by Bluesman

WC bevells after laying in the boarder stamp, not before!

Bluesman & Sherlockian 100 - You will find that every leathercrafter does things just a bit different and if you are new it will make you go hmmmmm. You will also find out that some things can be done 9 different ways. For me, I bevel before you using my border tool because I find it easy to register my tool before striking it. Also, I lay out my space marks with an adjustable compass and register one of the tips of the tool to that mark before striking it. Can it be done after cutting...........well sure! Have I tried it when I first learned from Wayne's tutorial...........sure did! I learned by practice that I didn't feel comfortable, so I beveled the line and did it again. I felt better........so I do it that way every time.

I hope this helps!