What is your reason for curved belt slots on holsters? Somebody tell me the advantage gained by a curved slot. I've asked people who use them, and even some people who MAKE the punches -- so far nothing rational or relevant.

ANYbody have a LEGITIMATE purpose?

Edited by JLSleather

There is a perception that they have a better bite, and whether or not that is a reality customer perception is a perfectly legitimate answer. Red Nichols has used a curved slot that only punches out the upper and lower circle, leaving the center cut on one side with the material left to 'bite' the belt and keep it from moving. I've seen Josh Bossart use and talk about this method as well.

I tried having a punch made for a curved slot for tight pattern pancakes that would allow me nicer curves versus the straight lines for/aft in the 'wings' of the pancake. Curves can help keep the clothes from sticking, and frankly they look nicer to my eye. For my purposes I decided against having the curved one in my line up as the confidence wasn't there for it being done right after the first attempt. I have straight punches for 1.5" & 1.75" that cover most anything I ever need to do, and outside of the Cobra were the biggest time savers in my shop.

Tha's one vote for customer perception / friction. Thanks! Anybody else?

There is a perception that they have a better bite, and whether or not that is a reality customer perception is a perfectly legitimate answer. Red Nichols has used a curved slot that only punches out the upper and lower circle, leaving the center cut on one side with the material left to 'bite' the belt and keep it from moving. I've seen Josh Bossart use and talk about this method as well.

I tried having a punch made for a curved slot for tight pattern pancakes that would allow me nicer curves versus the straight lines for/aft in the 'wings' of the pancake. Curves can help keep the clothes from sticking, and frankly they look nicer to my eye. For my purposes I decided against having the curved one in my line up as the confidence wasn't there for it being done right after the first attempt. I have straight punches for 1.5" & 1.75" that cover most anything I ever need to do, and outside of the Cobra were the biggest time savers in my shop.

Hey Rob...fancy seeing you here. Not sure I've seen a post from you on here yet!

Completely off topic folks, in case you need to, Rob (eaglestroker) is from MS. I'm from MS. We are both members on a MS gun forum as well. Rob and I have talked via PM many times over the last month or so about my newness in leather working, and he is a great guy. I asked a couple questions once, and instead of him just answering them for me, he actually made a video of his processes and sent it to me. Also, he gave me his cell number and told me to call/message any time. Stand up guy this Rob is in case you wanted to know.

On topic, I read somewhere (or most likely made it up) that the curve was to help the bite (like Rob said). But, my simple mind never believed it. Sure, the "points" of the curve may help the bite, but is seemed to me that the "inner" portion would just "float around"?

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the curved slot and how they are done. Are they punched holes and hand cut in slots? Because I am avoiding that at all costs. I cannot even cut the outside edges evenly. I went searching other forums and someone said they thought the curved slots might be from a clicker, so I would be interested in that.

I will chip in my two cents on the friction side. I think with the weight of the leather we typically use (then doubled over and glued) that there wouldn't be a whole lot of floating going on.

You can actually see a pretty good view of one of the punches made for this over at http://www.usacuttingdie.com/die-examples.html

I personally don't care for 'em, but I thought somebody might have a GOOD reason for them. TIP: Because "some guy in a goofy hat told me" is NOT a GOOD reason. Even if you heard it from the CAT in the HAT .. still don't count. I mean a LEGITIMATE reason :rofl:

Okay, fair enough. Sometimes, no answer IS an answer ;)

Oooh, I like it! I want one! Shiny, thanks!

I used a curved slot on an avenger style holster because it looked nicer in the wing. So for me the only reason was looks. I punched the holes for the ends and then cut the middle by hand.... very, very slowly.

It would seem to me that curved slots would increase the wear and tear on your belt. And any belt soft enough to conform to the slots probably isn't rigid enough for a gunbelt.

tk

I thought they did that to make sliding the holster onto the belt easier.

It must be an aesthetic preference. I doubt there is any functional advantage to curved belt slots.

The only time I've seen a curved slot serve a functional purpose was on a 3 slot pancake holster I bought before I started leatherworking. The front slot was curved so that there wouldn't be any binding from using either of the rear 2 slots: either vertical or the 20 degree cant positions. This could probably be accomplished by just making a slightly larger front slot, but this way the slot stayed smaller and more snug on the belt, yet was able to accommodate either position.

Straight slot will do that, Boss. Assuming your slots are 5 1/2" apart (give er take a bit), that 20° is only a difference of 1 3/4" -ish, and doesn't require a longer slot (the difference in slot length is LESS than you would take out with an edger). I'm going with the reason for the curved slot is 2-fold... cosmetics (appearance only) compounded with a marketing goober telling you how important it is to have it that way. Or, other words, no value.

Straight slot will do that, Boss. Assuming your slots are 5 1/2" apart (give er take a bit), that 20° is only a difference of 1 3/4" -ish, and doesn't require a longer slot (the difference in slot length is LESS than you would take out with an edger). I'm going with the reason for the curved slot is 2-fold... cosmetics (appearance only) compounded with a marketing goober telling you how important it is to have it that way. Or, other words, no value.

I 100% agree. I have found no use for it.

I agree, its just bling...one of the worst hosters i have ever been forced to use, had those slots in it...it was done to acommodate a third slot and to get it all to fit, the slots were so close to the stitch line and crammed together, that it was impossible to reholster the gun without it going out of battery...

FREE 1911 5-inch pancake style holster pattern now available. NO curved slots :P

http://www.jlsleather.com/diy/holster-diy/

Oh, yeah.. it makes this one..

post-13153-0-30880200-1440345308_thumb.g

Edited by JLSleather