Hellicap

Hole Punch Backing

I'm punching holes using a 4 pronged diamond hole-punch to sew my knife sheath. I was wondering what I should use for a backing during this process? Wood just yields and doesn't let the punch go through the leather but granite will dull the punch. What do y'all use?

Edited by Hellicap

I use thick leather on top of a plastic cutting board on top of granite. The leather lets it go all the way through and the plastic keeps the tips sharp. When I do a sheath I punch one layer at a time. Any miner imperfections in the lineup of the pieces can be fixed with sanding. I also keep the prongs waxed pretty well to make them easier to pull out. Don't rock it or the prongs will bend, I use a plastic bone folder to put pressure on the leather and pull straight out.

Edited by JoeSnuffie

I've got one of these Professional Cutting Boards that I've had in the shop for about 3 years, it's the same material a lot of clicker boards are made of, a little pricey but they last a long time, I am at the point that I need to sand mine down a layer and you can do that several times as well. Tandy sells them for $99.99 retail or $70.00 if you have an elite membership. One of the few tools Tandy has that still works well.

Chief

professional-cutting-board-3465-00.jpg

post-6362-0-53058700-1393210446_thumb.jp

Thanks, my wife is willing to give up one of her poly cutting boards so I'll use that in the future.