This item was given to my nephew by a member of the Shoshone-Bannock tribe on the Fort Hall Reservation in Idaho. It is about the size of a man's hand. It looks to have been crome plated and I can find no markings, numbers, names etc. The spring loaded rachet has three notches and hold the device from opening farther than set. The inside surface of each arm is smooth so probably not for gripping. There is a fairly substantial stud on the outside of each arm that might have held a heavy leather strap. The existing strap is fastened with a single piece split rivet. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Thanks for looking Lee

post-22-025415800 1305053702_thumb.jpg

post-22-009895200 1305053726_thumb.jpg

This item was given to my nephew by a member of the Shoshone-Bannock tribe on the Fort Hall Reservation in Idaho. It is about the size of a man's hand. It looks to have been crome plated and I can find no markings, numbers, names etc. The spring loaded rachet has three notches and hold the device from opening farther than set. The inside surface of each arm is smooth so probably not for gripping. There is a fairly substantial stud on the outside of each arm that might have held a heavy leather strap. The existing strap is fastened with a single piece split rivet. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Thanks for looking Lee

Lee, I think it is part of a device used for holding a horses mouth open for dental work. There should be another part just like that only mirror image, and on those studs should be a mouth piece that goes over the front teeth. It also would have leather staps that held it on to the horses head. You put it on just like a bridle.Then it is racheted open to work on the teeth. I believe it is called a speculum...??? ---------------------Bill

Good call, Bill. It is part of a McPherson equine dental speculum. Here's one in action - McPherson dental speculum . You can also see the downside of them in that picture. They are like a deer-basher bumper if the horse decides to sling his head.

Thanks Guy's now that you have named it I remember seeing them used but that was a long time ago and in a world far away. Thanks again.