ktoddmc

Knowing when to stop stitching

I bought a sewing machine finally and it is working great. The problem I have is the operator. How do you know when to stop stitching? I cant see under the presser foot because I am sewing thick leather. All I am wanting to do is sew a square at the end of my dog leashes. I know this sounds stupid, but I have not sewed a "perfect " square in 30 leashes and have tryed tape, measuring, marking, etc. Is the an accessorie out there that I'm not aware of that will stop you from going over you perpendicular line? I've even chalked the outside but because of the tightness of the leatheer and the presser foot, that sisn't work. I just can't see where I'm at. Anybodies help is appreciated

I bought a sewing machine finally and it is working great. The problem I have is the operator. How do you know when to stop stitching? I cant see under the presser foot because I am sewing thick leather. All I am wanting to do is sew a square at the end of my dog leashes. I know this sounds stupid, but I have not sewed a "perfect " square in 30 leashes and have tryed tape, measuring, marking, etc. Is the an accessorie out there that I'm not aware of that will stop you from going over you perpendicular line? I've even chalked the outside but because of the tightness of the leatheer and the presser foot, that sisn't work. I just can't see where I'm at. Anybodies help is appreciated

In lieu of sewing under power, operate the machine manually. Also you might try putting a small dot of white paint on the "split" in the shoe of your machine.

ferg

In lieu of sewing under power, operate the machine manually. Also you might try putting a small dot of white paint on the "split" in the shoe of your machine.

ferg

Good advice Ferg never thought of the white dot. I found that by sitting higher and looking down at the stitch line I have a better view and can control the speed accordingly. If you have bifocals this also helps to prevent a "Krik" in your neck. Good lighting is also a must.

Good Luck

Layo.

ferg

By manually you mean hand operate it with the wheel when I get close to the end?

Thanks

Yep, ease off the pedal and grab the flywheel. You might have to "fudge" the final stitch by a little bit, but that's the best way to put the needle EXACTLY where you want it. Manually turn the machine to get through the leather, then up just a little, then raise the foot and make your turn.

Ideally, you should set your stitch length to match the size square you want- i.e. if you stitch at 6 spi, then you'll make 6 stitches, turning on #6, 6 more, turn, 6 more, turn, 6 more, and finish in the hole you started in. Then lock in the stitch and call it a square.

Yep, ease off the pedal and grab the flywheel. You might have to "fudge" the final stitch by a little bit, but that's the best way to put the needle EXACTLY where you want it. Manually turn the machine to get through the leather, then up just a little, then raise the foot and make your turn.

Ideally, you should set your stitch length to match the size square you want- i.e. if you stitch at 6 spi, then you'll make 6 stitches, turning on #6, 6 more, turn, 6 more, turn, 6 more, and finish in the hole you started in. Then lock in the stitch and call it a square.

Ok I'll give it a try thank you!