Sign in to follow this  
NewLeather

Ed Chapman Saddles?

I picked up a gorgeous wade saddle today. It's obviously made by an experienced saddle maker who put in a lot of effort. It's stamped on both fenders with "Original Ed Champan Fort Worth, Tex" It's an older saddle, but beautifully made.

Anyone ever heard of Ed Chapman? A google search pulled up nothing.

I have still found very little info. All I've managed to learn is that Ed Chapman was 89 years old back in 1975 and was known as a saddlemaker.

What would you consider this style to be? I have heard both "pre-wade" and "working ranch" but am unsure.

Here is a pic of the saddle in question:

297159_2374741251381_1336058897_32768010_1656581056_n.jpg

Edited by NewLeather

i am by no means an expert but that looks like an equitation saddle to me...

It looks like it could possibly be made on a "BOB CROSBY" tree. Probably made between the late 50's to mid 70's. It has Porter Style tooling which was prevalent during that time period also. It appears to be made very well in a style from that period. I'm only making a guess of course, and some one else can probably nail it down closer. Reason I'm saying this is because the man who I apprenticed under in the mid 60's, made saddles that looked a lot like this one!

It looks like it could possibly be made on a "BOB CROSBY" tree. Probably made between the late 50's to mid 70's. It has Porter Style tooling which was prevalent during that time period also. It appears to be made very well in a style from that period. I'm only making a guess of course, and some one else can probably nail it down closer. Reason I'm saying this is because the man who I apprenticed under in the mid 60's, made saddles that looked a lot like this one!

You are right on target! I just learned that the saddle maker, Ed Chapman, was only alive until 1977. He was 91 years old when he passed away. I'm guessing the saddle was made in the 60's? It has brass rigging, too (which I'm told was used a lot pre 70's). I wish I could nail it down to an exact time frame, but I guess 50's-70's is all I'm going to narrow it down to LOL.

Sorry I can't help you with information about your saddle, but maybe I can help with some misinformation you have been given. A slick fork is not synonymous with a Wade. A slick fork is simply one where the widest point of a fork is at the bottom where it meets the bars. A swell fork goes out wider than than and has to come back in to meet the bars. A Wade is a specific type of slick fork: It has a wood post horn - not metal, extra thick stock (measurement front to back of the fork) traditionally 5", a thin gullet so the base of the horn is lower to the horse's back, and a few more special features which we describe on our website here: http://www.rodnikkel.com/content/index.php/pictures-of-trees/wades/

The first Tom Dorrance Wade tree was built in the late 30's, so to be "pre-Wade" a saddle would have to have been built before that time, and they sure wouldn't have been precursors to the Wade. I've never heard that term before and I doubt it has any real meaning. The style has become really popular over the last 25 - 30 years due to some good clinicians riding that style, starting with Tom Dorrance and Ray Hunt. Now it seems that if you put "Wade" in the title of a saddle you can ask more money for it, sort of like putting a horse rather than a cow on a product you sell for livestock. I've seen all sort of things called Wades, including metal horn swell forks. I would love to get the real definition of some of these terms onto some of the horse forums so more riders will have real, solid information about saddles. A lot of what is out on the net as "fact" is anything but. NewLeather, if you have contacts where you can get the word out as to what a Wade really is, it would give saddle and tree makers a lot more time since we wouldn't have to give the explanation so often! Thanks.

:asoapbox: Getting off now...

Edited by Rod and Denise Nikkel

Sorry I can't help you with information about your saddle, but maybe I can help with some misinformation you have been given. A slick fork is not synonymous with a Wade. A slick fork is simply one where the widest point of a fork is at the bottom where it meets the bars. A swell fork goes out wider than than and has to come back in to meet the bars. A Wade is a specific type of slick fork: It has a wood post horn - not metal, extra thick stock (measurement front to back of the fork) traditionally 5", a thin gullet so the base of the horn is lower to the horse's back, and a few more special features which we describe on our website here: http://www.rodnikkel...of-trees/wades/

The first Tom Dorrance Wade tree was built in the late 30's, so to be "pre-Wade" a saddle would have to have been built before that time, and they sure wouldn't have been precursors to the Wade. I've never heard that term before and I doubt it has any real meaning. The style has become really popular over the last 25 - 30 years due to some good clinicians riding that style, starting with Tom Dorrance and Ray Hunt. Now it seems that if you put "Wade" in the title of a saddle you can ask more money for it, sort of like putting a horse rather than a cow on a product you sell for livestock. I've seen all sort of things called Wades, including metal horn swell forks. I would love to get the real definition of some of these terms onto some of the horse forums so more riders will have real, solid information about saddles. A lot of what is out on the net as "fact" is anything but. NewLeather, if you have contacts where you can get the word out as to what a Wade really is, it would give saddle and tree makers a lot more time since we wouldn't have to give the explanation so often! Thanks.

:asoapbox: Getting off now...

Thanks for the great info! I originally thought this was a wade saddle, but after seeing it up close I realized it wasn't. Of course, I didn't know what it was and picked up the term "pre-wade" from a fellow rider. They had a similar saddle to mine, which was why I spoke with them in the first place. Your post really cleared up a lot of info for me.

What would you call this? Best I have found so far is that it might be considered a working cow horse saddle with a Mexican horn.

Thanks for the great info! I originally thought this was a wade saddle, but after seeing it up close I realized it wasn't. Of course, I didn't know what it was and picked up the term "pre-wade" from a fellow rider. They had a similar saddle to mine, which was why I spoke with them in the first place. Your post really cleared up a lot of info for me.

What would you call this? Best I have found so far is that it might be considered a working cow horse saddle with a Mexican horn.

I beleive that saddle is a calf roping saddle and probably dates to the the 50's or 60's. Might be a Bob Crosby or maybe an early Chuck Shepard, or something else. The horn is a Pelican and was quite popular in that time frame. Looks like a high quality saddle in good shape. Just my 2 cents worth. Ken

NewLeather,

Glad I could help you know what it isn't. But I can't help you know what it is since I'm not into the "vintage" saddles. There are others on the board who can give you good advice though. From looking at its excellent condition, it hasn't been roped out of, whatever it was meant to be for.

Most likely you already know: Ed Chapman worked for Edelbrock's in Fort Worth, Texas (1930-1946). Edelbrock was sold to Atkns & Boothman (early 40's)...then it became Atkins and Bullinger. About 1944, Don "Windy" Ryon was the sole owner. This leads me to believe that ol' Ed may have worked for Windy Ryon also....you might check this out.