Talltales08

What's Up With My Thumb?

Saturday is leather class day at my local Tandy's. I went to my third class, and if I wasn't hooked before I am now. I finally felt comfortable holding the stamping tool just right, or so I thought. I didn't notice it till later in the day, but there's a slight "tingle" in the tip of my thumb on my left hand, the one that holds the tool. The tingle is still there, and though not painful, I can't wait for it to go away.

Is this some sort of nerve damage that goes with this craft? Will it go away? I'll be gratefull for any input you have.

Sounds like a little damage due to prolonged presure. Most people are just more used to a full hand falling asleep than one finger. I'd say give it a day. If it doesn't go away by Monday morning, then you might want to have it checked.

It does sound like you've got a little nerve reaction going on....but I don't know if it's damage or over stimulation. Start a little tooling on some scrap, and see if you're holding the tool hard enough to 'white knuckle' it. If so, there's your problem. I've experienced similar sensations, but not from tooling. I used a rattle can to paint some I-beams, and for a couple of hours afterward, I had a slightly 'hot' feeling in the tip of the finger that was holding down the button. Then again, depending on how fast you're tooling, you may have aggravated it the same way a vibrational tool does.

I had my thumb down on the shaft of the tool as close to the leather as it could be (as I recall). To me, this gave me the control to avoid the dreaded "bounce" and also to help guide the tool where I wanted it. I'll take a few days to let it stop then keep you posted as to the results.

You must be holding it with a death grip! Relax your hand a bit.

That may be it, as it wasn't going anywhere..lol

My first class I had a bad case of the "bounces". Second week we did a Celtic Knot and I need a lot of work with the cutting tool.

This week it was a flower of some sort. Still need work with the cutting tool but a little better. I have a very long way to go, but love the look of tooled leather, it's a real art form.

That's great you have a Tandy close for classes. I have to drive too far for one so I learned on my own. Post photos when you're ready for us to see your handy work.

It's still an hour drive to get there but it's free so.........................One day I'll buy a camera and post some stuff.

I can almost guaranty you that you are holding the tool improperly. Most people death grip the tool and in the process bend your thumb joint backwards. The proper ergonomic is to bend your thumb outwards.

Aaron

Wow.....what a timely post for me to see. I got an order from a horse show association about 2 weeks ago wanting 4 messenger/briefcase bags and 2 notebooks to give as awards. With my schedule and their awards banquet, I've got until Thanksgiving to finish them. Of course, they wanted alot of lettering and some floral tooling on them. I've been tooling between 10 to 14 hours a day, everyday trying to get all of it done. And my left thumb feels wrecked. Same tingling, nerve feeling that's being described. It feels like a sliver or something the size of a postage stamp. I can push on it and it doesn't hurt, but if I slightly rub it, pains goes half way to my elbow. I've been putting horse linament on it and it seems to be getting better. The thumb, along with my shoulders, neck, right forearm, etc. get real sore by the end of the day. But such is life. I'll post pics when the order is all done. They're gonna turn out real nice, but I may be a cripple when it's over....LOL.

DOUBLE U LEATHER: Glad to hear you have so much work in front of you, congrats.

As of a few seconds ago, the pain in my thumb is all but gone. I'm sure, as many have suggested, I was holding the tool wrong. You know how it goes, we all have to find our own comfort zone. I'll take your suggestions and not put a death grip on it in the future...lol

Thanks everyone

Wow.....what a timely post for me to see. I got an order from a horse show association about 2 weeks ago wanting 4 messenger/briefcase bags and 2 notebooks to give as awards. With my schedule and their awards banquet, I've got until Thanksgiving to finish them. Of course, they wanted alot of lettering and some floral tooling on them. I've been tooling between 10 to 14 hours a day, everyday trying to get all of it done. And my left thumb feels wrecked. Same tingling, nerve feeling that's being described. It feels like a sliver or something the size of a postage stamp. I can push on it and it doesn't hurt, but if I slightly rub it, pains goes half way to my elbow. I've been putting horse linament on it and it seems to be getting better. The thumb, along with my shoulders, neck, right forearm, etc. get real sore by the end of the day. But such is life. I'll post pics when the order is all done. They're gonna turn out real nice, but I may be a cripple when it's over....LOL.

I'm looking forward to seeing them, I always love your work. One tip, you might try hitting the tool instead of your thumb! LOL

Chief

Everyone around the table was talking about hitting their fingers, at that moment I nearly hit mine..lol

It could the start of carpel tunnel syndrome. I have that problem and need to shake it off after the tingling. Its a constant battle for me.

I can only hope not.

Nope, elbow is fine...lol Thumb finally returned to normal so I'm going to pay close attention to how I'm holding the tool next time.

How about tennis elbow from the mallet?

Tennis elbow and golfer's elbow are tendon damage due to sudden stretching / straining impact. Tennis elbow from a backhand hit, golfer's elbow from a regular swing. Golfer's elbow gets the inside (next to your body) side of the elbow, tennis elbow gets the outside side of the elbow. Same type of tendon / ligament damage, just opposite sides of the elbow. By the way, arthritis in your elbow can be misdiagnosed as tennis or golfer's elbow.

I'd hate to see what your leather looks like if you are hitting that hard with your mallet!

Happy stamping!

Tom

Saturday is leather class day at my local Tandy's. I went to my third class, and if I wasn't hooked before I am now. I finally felt comfortable holding the stamping tool just right, or so I thought. I didn't notice it till later in the day, but there's a slight "tingle" in the tip of my thumb on my left hand, the one that holds the tool. The tingle is still there, and though not painful, I can't wait for it to go away.

Is this some sort of nerve damage that goes with this craft? Will it go away? I'll be gratefull for any input you have.

I get the same thing and figured it was from the knurling on the tool?

I'd hate to see what your leather looks like if you are hitting that hard with your mallet!

Happy stamping!

Tom

According to my doctor, Tennis Elbow is an overuse / muscle strain injury attributable to repeated contraction of the forearm muscles used to straighten and raise your hand and wrist....start with a heavier mallet, and stamp out a basketweave on a 50" belt...

A total of 700 musculoskeletal repetitive strain injuries (RPIs) were entered into the register, representing a fall of 13% from 2009, almost half epicondylitis (tennis elbow). RPIs appeared in all age groups, but mostly among 45–49 year-olds, most prominently in food industry, textile, sewing, footwear and leather work; and in other industrial work. Forty per cent of sufferers were women. Of all RSIs, 40% were recognized occupational diseases.

I Lost 2 months of work while it healed, and now I'm terrified it's going to flare up any time I stamp out a border. I have to go "tools down" as soon as I feel a twitch.

Edited by MadMorbius

According to my doctor, Tennis Elbow is an overuse / muscle strain injury attributable to repeated contraction of the forearm muscles used to straighten and raise your hand and wrist....start with a heavier mallet, and stamp out a basketweave on a 50" belt...

I Lost 2 months of work while it healed, and now I'm terrified it's going to flare up any time I stamp out a border. I have to go "tools down" as soon as I feel a twitch.

I have tennis elbow, and really had a hard time with stamping, for any length of time, even wearing the brace. I broke down and purchased a pair of mauls from the Bearman and I have to say, they really make a difference. I can stamp for longer periods of time before I feel that I should give things a rest. I don't go overboard but I was able to stamp out a basketweave belt for my dh in one sitting, which would have been impossible before. Your mileage may vary but they have decidely been one of my better investments.

I've had some issues with my elbow from prolonged periods of tooling. I don't think I'd cause it tennis elbow, but it's definitely a pain associated with the constant wrist movement. Usually I find that readjusting the position of my elbow helps a lot, as does not wresting it on the table while I'm working. I keep trying to tell myself it's ok to buy a Bear Maul.