stacy739

Holster Making Question

Hi friends,

I have made several holsters in the past but I have never lined them with anything. I have an idea for a new one and would like to line it with some red suede that I have left over. My question is this- when I wet the holster during the wet forming process, will it ruin the suede? Thanks in advance.

Stacy

Not telling you not to it is your choice. However I never line my holsters with suede. The reason being is that suede is some what like a sponge, It will soak up any oils from the gun and collect powder residue from the gun as well as other grit and grime. It can become like sand paper and harm the finish of the gun over time.

Any holster will affect the finish on a gun. Every time you draw, and reholster, it is getting wear on the finish. All leather will retain oils, and other moisture, that is why you should not store handguns in leather holsters.

Holster cleaning should be just as important as gun cleaning.

Since the suede is so flexible, you may want to try attaching the liner after you have wet molded the outer. My concern would be if the red dye will bleed if it is wet formed.

I don't use suede because the majority of it is chrome tanned ( not counting sanded splits). If it isCT, and the leather gets wet while the gun is holstered, it can lead to basically washing the gun with chromium salts.....helloooooooo refinising job. For something like the later generation guns like Glock, Smith M&P, HK, Walther, Sig.....blahblahblah.....the finish is designed to be extremely corrosion resistant. This may help mitigate the effects but on a blued steel gun, it's flirting with disaster.

Thanks friends. I'll skip the suede. Is there anything else you would recommend? Pig maybe?

I have used veg tanned pig as a liner. Most of the time I just use two piece of leather glued flsh side to fleshside. This gives you a smooth side inside and outside of the holster. It also helps give a good firm holster. You can always dye the inside of the holster what ever color you want.

Same here as Camano said..I use veg tanned pig glued flesh side to flesh side.

I have made several holsters using suede lining, . . . after a digital conversation with a very famous holster maker who assured me that suede was safe.

I have never had any problems with any that I made, . . . and I kinda think the chrome story has been blown out of proportion, . . . IMHO.

Back on track, . . . yes, . . . glue the two together (I use contact cement), . . . then treat it as one piece of leather.

Cut it, . . . mold it, . . . sew it, . . . shape it, . . . stamp it, . . . whatever you desire. None of mine ever caused a problem.

I would, . . . just on the safe side, . . . make a test piece and see if there IS any bleeding of the dye. In all reality, . . . there should not be, . . . but red's are funny.

Best wishes and may God bless,

Dwight