HelluvaEngineer

Hand Stitching Without Piercing The Thread

Hello Everybody,

I'm hoping somebody has some guidance they could provide with a problem I keep having. I am currently Hand-Stitching everything I sew, and it seems like 50 percent of my stitches result in me piercing my piece of thread with the needle when I put the second needle through the same hole. I then have to feed the needle back through the thread to continue sewing.

The process I am using is:

- Pre Punch Holes (I have done this with a 1/16" Drill Bit and using a Thumb Tack)

- Using 2 needles (I have tried size 000 and 0 Harness Needles from Tandy), I pass through the starting hole, get the thread even on both sides, then alternate passing the needles through the following holes.

I am wondering if I am making an error in the process I am using or if it is a materials issue. I have tried all kinds of variations in where I hold the threads to keep it out of the way, but it seems like if I want decently small holes to look good at the end, I end up piercing the thread numerous times while I sew.

The thread I am using is the Waxed Nylon Thread from Tandy (http://www.tandyleat...g/1227-038.aspx)

Thanks in advance!

- Michael

Pull the first thread back as you push the second needle through.

Trying to think how I do it(become nearly automagic).....

- Needle from the back side goes through the stitch hole

- pull the needle through, but don't pull all the thread through

- *** use the slack to pull the thread on the back side back slightly as the "front" needle goes through the hole ***

- both sides then get pulled tight.....

I've seen stuff where people have both needles passing through the leather at the same time, but that's not the way I was taught.....

Essentially the thread from the back is travelling in the same direction as the needle from the front(running away from it) so doesn't get pierced......

Does this help at all?

Cheers!

Thans for the quick response guys! That definitely makes sense.

Do you guys use stitching ponies when you sew? I have been thinking about getting/making one, and I think now I may have to so I can free up a hand to grab the thread on the opposite side when I am sewing.

Thanks again for the replies!

- Michael

Definitely use a stiching pony or a saddlers clamp or whatever fits the work.

Particularly needed when you're cutting the holes with an awl while you stitch(running out of hands + keeps the work in a consistent place so the awl holes end up parrallel). I think it also goes a way to achieving consistency in the tension when you pull the thread tight.

Cheers!

Good point - shouldn't be using sharp needles anyway, you already have the holes cut and there's less potential for staining the leather.

Blunt needles will still pierce a thread though.......

Cheers!

I might also suggest using smaller needles, as there is more room tom maneuver the needle under the other thread inside the hole. I do not believe Tandy sells anything smaller than size 0 though.

Thanks again for the replies everybody! The harness needles from Tandy are definitely blunt, but they do still pierce the thread pretty easily, especially when the holes don't have much extra room.

I'll have to try stitching with a Stitching Pony, so that I am not trying to balance the piece and get the needle through and see how that works. Time to go to the hardware store and get some parts.

- Michael

I used to pre-drill with a harness needle in my press, now I have built my own 1/4 horse for sewing and have moved to an awl with a 2 1/2" replaceable blade, groove, mark with overstitcher, pierce first hole and pull thread through till needles are even and as mentioned before(if your a righty) thread first needle from back side and pull through 6-8" then pass right side needle through, before pulling right side needle all the way through pull the thread from the left side back about 2-3 inches to make sure it isnt pierced. then continue to pull right side needle through completly and pull all thread tight. Believe it or not using an awl vs drilling gives alot more room to pass the needles through, and its faster too. You don't have to take the extra step of drilling all your holes. the 13" bowie sheath I made(in my gallery) is an 1" wide at the hand guard and even with pre drilling i still had to use pliers to pull them through, don't think I would have had to do that had I used an awl. hope this helps.

Oh I forgot to mention I use Waxed linnen thread and 00 harness needles.

A pony will make this infinitely easier, build one now, the time you save sewing with one will more than make up for the time spent building it. It doesn't need to be fancy either, 2x4s and such.

I have gotten in the the habit of pulling the first thread back at the same time I'm pushing the second needle through, ya kinda get a rhythm going.