Sign in to follow this  
yan

Amerindian Armor

I need help to research native north american armor before the contact with european culture.

I've read many reference to raw hide armor, slat and rod armor and some kind of padded leather armor (2 hide,bear or buffalo, stitched together).

Any one have visual reference (picture, drawing)?

I need help to research native north american armor before the contact with european culture.

I've read many reference to raw hide armor, slat and rod armor and some kind of padded leather armor (2 hide,bear or buffalo, stitched together).

Any one have visual reference (picture, drawing)?

My kind of topic.

Can you be more specific... narrow it down to certain cultures or regions?

I am more interested in the north east, from the great lakes to the sea, including present days Vermont, Maine, Ontario and Quebec.

I am more interested in the north east, from the great lakes to the sea, including present days Vermont, Maine, Ontario and Quebec.

I have many years of education & research on the prehistory of the America's but unfortunately only as it pertains to southwest US and Mesoamerican cultures. I know absolutely nothing about the area of your interests. Good luck... sorry I couldnt help.

The only pre-contact armor that I've known to be verified for that region is a type of armor made from shaped bark slats. These were used by some members of the Iroquois confederacy. If I remember correctly, it's mentioned in accounts of their attacks on the Erie tribe during the onset of the Beaver Wars (Prelude to French and Indian War). After the introduction of firearms, stealth and mobility became the primary means of defense.