Kcinnick

What Is The Difference Between A Cobra And Cowboy?

The Cobra is brown; the Cowboy is beige. The Cowboy presser feet and throat plates are cut from stainless steel. Both machines have the same specs and are well made and serviced by the most competent mechanics in the business. The official Cobra and Cowboy dealers stand behind the machines they sell. Price-wise, if similarly equipped, they cost about the same. The Cowboy machines are offered a la carte, at a lower price, for those who don't want or need all the accessories, and are usually in stock all the time.

The Cobra is in California, the Cowboy is in Ohio, that may play a role in shipping charges.

I bought a Cowboy from Bob at Toledo Industrial Sewing in July. VERY happy with the machine and the service Bob provides. The machine was setup to sew when shipped. I just unloaded it, mounted the head on the stand, and started to sew. No adjustment needed at all. I've also heard good things about Steve at Cobra.

As far as having machines in stock, Steve sells so many that they are always on order. Tony goes through each machine and that takes half a day if there are no problems; if something is not to his liking, it can take a whole day to make it purr like a kitten. I have six machines I got through Steve and have not had a problem with any of them, except maybe lifting that 320 lb. strap cutter, son did it by himself, oh to be young again.

I have my preferences, but both machines will sew, and that is what it comes down to.

Art

So the price difference is in the accessories and stainless steel? It seems like I see more people talk about their Cobra purchase, but nobody has anything bad to say about the cowboy's at a lower price, not to mention the other versions of this machine. It seems like the choice really comes down to cowboy or cobra.

I have never sewn on a Cowboy, but I can tell you from personal experience about the quiet, power, and customer service of the Cobra. All of my previous sewing had been done on an Artisan 3000, and I followed the advice of Pepper and others on this forum and Leather Pros and went with a Cobra 4. When I got mine, I experienced some problems which I attributed to lack of familiarity with the machine. I sewed some more and didn't improve much, so I called Steve. The first night, he spent over an hour with me on the phone, talking me through various operations on re-threading, tensioning, and lubrication of the machine. I didn't seem to be having much luck in the following days, and Steve called me back on a Saturday night to see how things were going. He spent another hour that Saturday working through various diagnostics.

I emailed hom a couple of days later and told him that I'd about decided that I was too old and set in my "hand sewing" ways and probably didn't have any business owning a high-tech machine! Steve called me on the phone that night and asked that I ship the machine head back to him in California, and that he would pay for the shipping!

I did, and I had the machine back within a week. Steve called to tell me that he had reset the timing and changed a part. This thing sews like nothing I've ever seen. It even makes me look like I know what I'm doing (and that ain't easy.) You won't do any better in terms of quality than with Cobra, and I'm betting that you'd be hard pressed to match the customer service anywhere.

Hope this addresses some of your questions.

I picked up a CB4500 from Neals saddlery about 8 months ago I think. Was shipped painlessly, it took a few days to come in to his shop then they went thru it and got it all setup and adjusted. I unpacked it, put it together, oiled it and started sewing. Ofcourse I had a few questions and he spent some time on the phone with me getting me thru the few questions that I had. Bob's videos on utube helped with the rest. I even talked to Steve a couple of times and he is a really great guy as well.

Do I regret getting the CB instead of a cobra, not at all. If I did it again would I change who I got it from, to answer that the only reason I would go with cobra is because I live in WA and they ship out of CA. Either way no matter who you get it from either three of these guys will spend the time on the phone with you to make sure it is running great. Oh and to mention these guys are all in good standings with one another and even if you didnt buy from one or the other I am sure would still end up helping you out if you had questions.

As far as a price difference I didnt really notice much of one. When I got mine I think the CB was a little cheaper but all in all its about the same.

I purchased a cowboy 3500 a while back and other than a learning curve in tensioning (my problem, not the machines) i have had zero issues with it. Customer service is great and shipping was quick.

I defiantly recommend the Cowboy series.

Oh wanted to add if you pick one of these up, after running it for a while make sure to check on the reverse lever there is a screw in the back that can come loose a little bit, you can start to feel it a little in the lever when it starts getting loose and your reverse stitches stop lining up with the forward ones. Just something to check for those that have these.

I'm partial to the Cowboy brand because.....it's what I have.

Someone said it best on here some time back.......can't decide? Get it from the dealer closest to you.

You certainly won't be sorry with either.

Looks like the Cowboy is going to come out cheaper for me. I will probably call both Steve and Bob, their preferred method of contact seems to be the phone, its just easier for me to get to a computer than a phone...

Looks like the Cowboy is going to come out cheaper for me. I will probably call both Steve and Bob, their preferred method of contact seems to be the phone, its just easier for me to get to a computer than a phone...

I always get quick responses from Bob via email..."Bob" <sewmun@aol.com>,

I always get quick responses from Bob via email..."Bob" <sewmun@aol.com>,

Email response time on AOL depends on who you send your email through. I have had delays up to one week in delivery of email sent to Bob, or other AOLers. At other times the email was never delivered at all, not even to a junk folder. They apply their own blocklists and have their own definition of what constitutes spam. Rather than let members decide, AOL's mail servers make a decision first. If they get it wrong, and they do, the email in question is held up, or rejected, with no notice to the intended recipient, or the sender.

In fact, the only notices I have ever seen from AOL, are for an unknown account (misspelled), or a full account not able to receive any more messages.

You can also send Bob a PM on this forum.

I posted a question about my CB4500 and backstitching a few weeks ago. Within 30 minutes of posting the question, my phone rang, and it was Bob calling to help me with my issue. My issue turned out to be operator error, not an equipment problem. He has always been very helpful with my many questions.

Edited by Steven Kelley

Well the a la carte pricing and lower shipping rate is going to make the cowboy more affordable. Seems like level of service is good from both Bob and Steve.

Anyone have any suggestions about what accessories to order with the Cowboy, I am want to be able to sew belts and holsters.

Well the a la carte pricing and lower shipping rate is going to make the cowboy more affordable. Seems like level of service is good from both Bob and Steve.

Anyone have any suggestions about what accessories to order with the Cowboy, I am want to be able to sew belts and holsters.

I bought the 4500 with all the accessories. I've played with the holster plate, but end up using the standard feed dog, plate, and presser feet. I occasionally use the right toe presser foot. I would say you need the right toe presser foot (toe away from roller feed guide) and the roller feed guide, along with the standard feed dog, plate, and double toe presser foot. You should be able to do virtually anything with holsters and belts with that.

Any difference between getting just the right toe presser foot or just the left toe presser foot? I was recommended to stay away from the holster plate and get a left toe presser foot. It looks like the allow you to do the same thing, is this just a personal preference on if you get left or right.

Is the roller feed guide standard (I thought it was).

Nick

I bought the 4500 with all the accessories. I've played with the holster plate, but end up using the standard feed dog, plate, and presser feet. I occasionally use the right toe presser foot. I would say you need the right toe presser foot (toe away from roller feed guide) and the roller feed guide, along with the standard feed dog, plate, and double toe presser foot. You should be able to do virtually anything with holsters and belts with that.

I think you meant to say the left toe foot, which is away from the edge guide, on the left side of the inside presser foot. The right toe foot sticks out about 1/8" to the right of the inside foot and will interfere with the edge guide, if the guide is set very close to the strap or project being sewn. I almost never use the right outside foot.

The left toe foot has one toe, on the left of the needle and inside foot. The right foot has one toe to the right of the inside foot. If this foot is used, you will have to stitch about 1/4' inside the outer edge. With the left toe foot you can get a 1/8" in stitch line, while using the roller guide.

I bought the Cobra because I have know Steve for several years begining when he was with Artisen. He is one of the nicest guys in the leather business. He goes to all the shows and I spend much time talking with him at the shows. He is alwasys there to answer your questions and help. Even when he left Artisen he still helped me with my Toro 3000 when they would not return my phone calls. Maybe if the other dealers would go to Sheridan, the international Leather Guild shows we could get to know them too. Just a thought.

Randy

Just a few little comments here as to the differences.

Cowboy was and is developed by Tradesmen not Dealers! Hence the accessories being standard. The Big 12" Hand wheel (Better Torque and Control) was the first thing I asked for when I became an adviser to Cowboy. The Stainless Steel Needle Plates and Feet were another development to stop the Ferric Stains, when Sewing on Damp Leather. Also excellent for building on for special jobs as the SS can easily be TIG Welded and polished again without the need for re-plating. I could go on more but won't, as it is not good to turn the Forum into a Wrestling Match. Ryan, Bob and Steve are all Friends of mine. All are there to give good advice, All offer very Good Service. Shop around and make your own mind up.

One thing that I can say is I use Cowboy every day and am very proud of my Chinese Friends who Build them for Trades Peoples use at an affordable Price. They have listened to the advice given and acted on it quickly to improve their Machines usability at all the times.

By the way the supplied Stirrup Plate is very good. I've just started using it, doing 1 1/2" round end gussets in the ends of Document Cases. Does it so nice and neat, no waste. Take the tension off the Feet by lifting the Collar approx 3/8"higher to compensate for the higher Bump of the Plate. Use the Supplied dble Toe Harness Feet with the Stirrup Plate and lay your Gusset under the Body of the work. Sew on low speed and it works very well after some practice. Same goes for the Holster Plate, just needs a bit of practice. It's Fun finding new Products that can be Sewn using the variety of supplied accessories with your Cowboy at no extra cost to the Buyer.

Now I've said that. Can we go back to just enjoying the Forum as a Forum not a Sales pitch.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

Any difference between getting just the right toe presser foot or just the left toe presser foot? I was recommended to stay away from the holster plate and get a left toe presser foot. It looks like the allow you to do the same thing, is this just a personal preference on if you get left or right.

Nick

Hi Nick,

The right toe foot is useful when sewing as close as you can to holster bulges. The expanded part of the holster hangs outside the end of the cylinder arm and you use the right foot so you can sew up close to the bulge or pocket. Now the bag plate or holster plate is handy when sewing the gusset into a bag, you lose a little thickness capability, but, who sews bags out of 3/4" leather. The holster plate/bag plate/stirrup plate raises the leather up a little allowing a sharper bend around the cylinder arm. This is a great accessory. As far as accessories go, make a deal to get all of them, you never know when you will want or need one and it is $100 and postage and a week away. That being said, I use a double toe foot for most things I do and only occasionally put on the right toe foot; I do leave the bag plate on most of the time, once you get used to it the flat plate seems a little restrictive.

Art

Nick

I wish I had one of those miniature milling machines. I would take other people's holster and stirrup plates and mill off steel from the bottom to allow the feed dog to remain in place. As things are now, one must remove the feeder to install the slotted and raised throat plates. On a new machine, you might need to employ the Green Giant to loosen the big screw that secures the feeder.

Edited by Wizcrafts

I'm with you there, as the feed dog also acts as a needle guide. However, I wonder a little about needle deflection with the bag/stirrup/holster plate and having it miss the hole and strike the plate or the feed dog. Maybe I would chamfer the hole in the feed dog to give a little more relief in case of a little over zealous deflection by the operator.

Just a thought,

Art

I wish I had one of those miniature milling machines. I would take other people's holster and stirrup plates and mill off steel from the bottom to allow the feed dog to remain in place. As things are now, one must remove the feeder to install the slotted and raised throat plates. On a new machine, you might need to employ the Green Giant to loosen the big screw that secures the feeder.

I wish i knew what you guys were talking about......I have the CB3500 and I THINK those parts you'z guys are referring to are available for it.....but again, I haven't a clue....

It's just me and my edge guide......

(Bob, if you're "listening" give me a call....I believe a lesson session is in order)