Spartan

Remake A F.a. Meanea Saddle?

I have an old Meanea saddle sitting on a stand in my living room (I dont have a picture with me here at work so I found one on google); last week I had some friends over. One of them, who owns a western themed theme park asked me if I could make him a saddle styled like that one (would be my first saddle). I have several old (late 1800s-early 1900s) trees that I could use but he wants to ride it. After searching and searching for a period styled tree that will fit modern horses, I am even more lost and confused than before my search began. I found one company in Tennessee that makes them but are way out of the range I want to spend for one. I do have a couple of modern saddles that are in disrepair I could take apart for the tree then reshape it myself... Anyone ever remake a saddle similiar to this? If so what was your process? Thanks!

post-37786-0-91100700-1366641498_thumb.j

If you are trying to pinch pennies on a tree, stop. Reshaping a tree is NOT easy. Having made reproductions, I will tell you it is probably not a good place to start learning to build saddles. If your customer is real discerning you will have a problem because of the availability of tools to reproduce the period look exactly rather than close. If you cant afford to start with a good tree, you will run into other barriers along the way. Generally speaking, saddles aren't made the way they were because we have developed better ways and leather availability can be another issue if you want to be exact. You can get it just not cheap. Kudos though for realizing that old saddles generally dont fit today's horses. I dont mean to be a wet blanket but you asked.

Timberline saddle trees Inc. has a tree they call Meana. They can make anything you want!

Thank you very much for your replies. Sadly I can't find very much information at all on these old saddles. I think it is more the style of that saddle he is looking for. It doesn't have to be historically accurate, in that a modern tree could be substituted; which it seems is the best option. Have either of you ever remade a saddle from this era?

If by remade you mean reconditioned or restored on the original tree, yes; also yes if you mean made a saddle with an "Old Timey" look on a modern tree. These are two are completely different endeavors. But either one is demanding and pricey.

As to restoration, it can often reduce the value of an old collectable piece. With the old it is often prudent to stop at reconditioning if the saddle has all or most of its original pieces.

You could also use a tree from Bowden: Old Time Slick fork, which will make a period correct saddle.

Thanks so much for all the help. I'm not looking to restore my old saddle, the leather is too far gone. I am looking to build one with an "old timey" look and feel to it. I have 3 old high back trees and a more modern tree that i test fitted to his horse yesterday evening; not surprising that none of them will work. Josh/Oldtimer that is exactly the saddle he is wanting built. Beautiful work! I am looking at their site now and I don't see it on there. Is this the tree you are talking about: http://www.saddlemaker.com/tree.html

Following Oldtimer's first post...Timberline Trees can build you a good tree. I recently received a Butch Cassidy tree that I'm using as a period style saddle. The turn around for the tree was great (less than 4 weeks), and I like the way it fits my quarter horse. Now, with that said, you need to sit down and really draw up your plans for the saddle. That requires a lot, and I mean a lot of research. As Oltoot mentioned, if you are shooting for authentic realism can result in a saddle that doesn't see the back of a horse if not done correctly. If this is your first saddle attemp, you may want to reconsider building a period style saddle, and start with just a basic ranch style saddle. Period saddles require a different rigging style that a first timer may not really understand. The seat of a period style saddle is different also. Rigging and seat are your most important things that a saddle maker needs to consider and understand (after getting a well made tree).

I could be wrong because there's a person on this site that her first saddle makes me sad to say that I "build saddles"; but, I can't emphasize too many times, learn the basics before starting your masterpiece.

Good Luck

Here is a saddle we made from the 1800s for Brad Johnson's movie and tv show "The life and Times of Ned Blessing" And one made by Wilford Lewis for Merle Haggard.

post-39369-0-74621800-1369953431_thumb.j

post-39369-0-79117500-1369953432_thumb.j

I know this is an old thread, but I was browsing through the forum and the title caught my attention so I thought I'd show a couple pictures of one I built in '08 or '09. I used a Meanea tree from Timberline and based it largely off of a picture from Cowboy Trappings, which I can't find at the moment or I would state which page it is on. Sure different to make than a modern saddle. I'd like to build another to improve on a few things. These pictures were taken after a lady hauled it to a couple shows to try to sell for me. I went to her place to pick it up and it was laying on the floor of her trailer with boot tracks all over it, so it got a little shop worn in the process. Needless to say I was not very happy and I never put anything on consignment with her again. Anyway, it was a fun one to build and I might try another over the winter, if I get time. Maybe a little later time period swell fork next time, and try to cover it with no welts.

post-49532-0-87303800-1416804338_thumb.j

post-49532-0-35650600-1416805284_thumb.j