Finally got this project out of my workspace! This is an occasional table I bought from the unfinished furniture store. I milled the top with a router to create a recess for a leather inlay. It took me a couple of tries to get the inlay cut to just the right size to fit tightly into the space I made for it. Even this one doesn't fit as well as I would like... you may notice a slight gap between the edge of the leather and the rim I left around the top. A lot of good lessons learned on this project on doing inlays!

Sorry for the poor photos... it was too big to get into either of my light boxes, so I had to use available lighting, which was not that great.

FullView_600.jpg

FullTop_600.jpg

Detail_600.jpg

Kate

post-7-1242771491_thumb.jpg

post-7-1242771502_thumb.jpg

post-7-1242771537_thumb.jpg

Finally got this project out of my workspace! This is an occasional table I bought from the unfinished furniture store. I milled the top with a router to create a recess for a leather inlay. It took me a couple of tries to get the inlay cut to just the right size to fit tightly into the space I made for it. Even this one doesn't fit as well as I would like... you may notice a slight gap between the edge of the leather and the rim I left around the top. A lot of good lessons learned on this project on doing inlays!

Sorry for the poor photos... it was too big to get into either of my light boxes, so I had to use available lighting, which was not that great.

FullView_600.jpg

FullTop_600.jpg

Detail_600.jpg

Kate

That's awesome! It makes me want to play chess again, though :P

Kate, that's incredible! I really like it.

it looks outstanding kate!!...i really like the rich color and antique flavor its got...i can see it fitting in perfect in one of those traditional study type rooms with lotsa old books, a globe in the corner with a high back leather chair...good job!!

darryl :cheers:

Kate....that's fabulous! Nice job! I would think there would be a good market for that kind of thing....

Bob

Chess and leatherwork - two of my favorite things in the whole world!

:specool:

Love the texture between the border and the board - and the dye work. Great job!

Matt

I really like that. Not to much and not to little either.

Kate, That looks AWESOME!!!! I love the colors on it. You should be very proud of your work!! Deb

WOW KATE :notworthy::jawdropper::notworthy: !!

That chessboard/table is very beautiful!!

Love that meandering border and I can't spot the stop/start of it!!

Well done (as allways)!!

Tom

stunning work, this will improve the look of any room

Hi Kate,

That's a great looking addition to any house! Isn't it amazing how much you learn when you do something like that? Great Job!!! :)

Kevin

All I can say is WOW! What a great idea followed up with wonderful execution, something to be very proud of.

This is one of those pieces that serve as inspiration - almost too high a standard to even attempt!

Kate

I kneel at your feet stunning work very nice it's just outstanding

Josh

That's just freakin stuning. Thanks for sharing, i love viewing your work, AMAZING !!!

I've got a small project to start,,,one day. It will have a few small inlays on wood . Nothing as fancy as what you've done though. I've given thought to the gap once the leather shrinks. I don't see any gap on yours. I'm gonna hot glue down some small rope at the seem.

Again that's a very nice piece. Outstanding work, thanks for sharing.

Very beautiful, Kate! A piece that is definitly inspiring. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Crystal

Beautiful, Kate. Absolutely stunning!

russ

That's just freakin stuning. Thanks for sharing, i love viewing your work, AMAZING !!!

I've got a small project to start,,,one day. It will have a few small inlays on wood . Nothing as fancy as what you've done though. I've given thought to the gap once the leather shrinks. I don't see any gap on yours. I'm gonna hot glue down some small rope at the seem.

Again that's a very nice piece. Outstanding work, thanks for sharing.

Freak...I've done a couple inlays...what works really well is make your leather just ever so slightly larger than the recess where you have to just slightly force the leather in...get the edge started first and then work from the middle toward that same outside edge. Works like a champ! I used Barge...really holds strong....still holding!

Remember though, free advice is often only worth what it costs!

Bob

...what works really well is make your leather just ever so slightly larger than the recess where you have to just slightly force the leather in...get the edge started first and then work from the middle toward that same outside edge. Works like a champ! I used Barge...really holds strong....still holding!

As a matter of fact, that is one of my many lessons from this project. If you cut the leather to the perfect size, it's probably too small. On this project, cutting it about 1/8" larger in diameter would have made it perfect.

Cementing the inlay was the big challenge. I'd love to see a demo of your method, Bob. It sounds like you found a much easier way to do this than I did. Do you apply cement to the center first, or one edge?

Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone.

Kate

Beautiful!

Wow amazing work. I wouldn't have noticed the gap until you mentioned it. Very well done!

Kate

How did you get that look on the non board leather, I mean that textured look what tool are you using

Josh

Kate,

BEAUTIFUL.... I love it.

Don't forget I get signed copy #2 of your book when it comes out....(I know Johanna gets #1)

Your work continues to amaze and inspire.

David Theobald

How did you get that look on the non board leather, I mean that textured look what tool are you using

Josh, that was done with an M657 matting stamp. The stamp is rotated as it is walked around the area to give it a more random pattern.

Kate

OOOPS!!! All you chess players probably noticed this already... I've got the pieces set up wrong on the table! :blush: I do know something about the game... really, I do.

Kate