Andrew Chee

Edge Sanding Question

Hello all. I am making the wallets below. I take veg tan leathers and hand board them to bring out the grain and soften them up. Usually when making wallets or bags I would assemble the pieces, glue, sew, etc... To even the edges out I would cut the edge after sewing. But because these wallets are curved, I can't really do that. I end up sanding them to even and smooth out the edges before burnishing. One thing I notice though is that because the leather has been softened, it tends to mushroom when I sand it with my belt sander, especially at the corners. I end up having to do some cutting afterwards. Do you guys have any suggestions for evening out edges after sewing curved edges on softer leather? Thanks.

Andrew

post-19812-0-24628300-1394407127_thumb.j

Have you tried sanding by hand?

Sorry to hijack the thread but what opinions are there as to the best grit for use on a belt/disc sander for preparing edges for bunishing on veg tan ?

Cheers

Zip

Wow, that's a lot corser that I imagined.

Thanks for the tip

Cheers

Zip

Wow, that's a lot corser that I imagined.

Thanks for the tip

Cheers

Zip

I find that any finer and it burnished instead of sanding. Less than a brand new belt and the same.

wow electrathon. That is coarse. After I bevel, I round the edge with a sanding block with 220 grit. Then I finish off with 400 or so. It seems if "hair" is left on the edge, the bumps will become more pronounced in a few days. Smooth no hair, no bumps.

Interesting. I actually start with 80 to level, then 120 then 240. Only about one pass of each. This is on the belt sander. I slick the edge and then touch up with 400 before dyeing and waxing. It's the initial passes with the belt sander where I get the mushrooming. Maybe I just need to apply a lot less pressure...

Andrew

wow electrathon. That is coarse. After I bevel, I round the edge with a sanding block with 220 grit. Then I finish off with 400 or so. It seems if "hair" is left on the edge, the bumps will become more pronounced in a few days. Smooth no hair, no bumps.

If I am hand sanding it is totally different. The trick I have found with the belt sander is that it needs to cut with almost no pressure.