thekid77

I'm In Trouble And Don't Know What To Do

Friends,

I made a huge mistake...I am making a lined case for an ipod...i finished contact cementing the liner in when I realized that I forgot to install the button snap!!!

How could I forget??? I have no idea what to do now...please help :)

Thank you!!!

Are you able to incert the snap as you would normally and then place a disc over the back of it on the inside and stitch it on?

From the outside you'd have the snap and a circle of stitching, on the inside the protection for the iPod.

Or... Fix the snap to a disc, or any nice shape in leather, then stitch that to the case.

Have a look at the leather tool tub here http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=18292

Does that help?

Nige

Nigel to the rescue!!!

WOW...awesome suggestions...where I thought i'd have to start over, now I have some options...thank you so much!!!

Use a putty knife, table knife, or similar thin but blunt tool and separate the layers. It's work, but can be done. Then use a popsicle stick to reapply cement to the are and reseat the liner.

That is an occurrance that someday will come to all of us.

You've heard the best two ideas I know.

I have in the past also taken apart pieces that have dried and been used, . . . etc, . . . by putting on my cheater glasses so I could see REAL good, . . . and using a very sharp razor knife to very, very slowly and deliberately cut the layers apart. This I've had to do whenever it has also been sewn.

It's work, . . . but it can be done, . . . and it is 99% of the time worth it in the end.

May God bless,

Dwight

We've all done this. IMO, trying to separate the layers entirely is an act of desperation which is fraught with many landmines. Instead, I very gently cut a "U" shaped window the appropriate size on the inner layer, being very careful not to cut into or especially through the outer layer. Then with a utility knife or other pointed blade, I -- again very gently -- pry the window flap of liner material away from the outer layer. The little uncut part of the "U" forms a little hinge, which you should place on the side of the flap that is towards the opening. That way inserting the iPod won't abraded against the "cut" part of the flap. Once the flap is dissected away the outer layer is exposed for your punch and snap setter, while leaving a built-in cover for the snap post that's inside the pouch. You just re-cement the little window flap over your snap. Once the pouch is stitched up, you'd have to inspect it closely with a dental mirror to detect that the problem ever existed. This has saved lots of work and potentially entire projects for me on more than one occasion.

Edited by silverwingit