bebah

My first saddle

I posted this a few days ago but the glitch got it. I'm new to the forum.

Looks like a great resource. This is my first saddle. Still in progress. Needs to be assembled, fleeced, and broke in. Appreciate any comments or suggestions. Here is a sheridan sketchbook cover I did as well.

Bebah

fender_study_sm.jpg

s2_sm.jpg

s33_sm.jpg

sketchbook_cover_sm.jpg

post-7038-1216488346_thumb.jpg

post-7038-1216488395_thumb.jpg

post-7038-1216488429_thumb.jpg

post-7038-1216488472_thumb.jpg

I posted this a few days ago but the glitch got it. I'm new to the forum.

Looks like a great resource. This is my first saddle. Still in progress. Needs to be assembled, fleeced, and broke in. Appreciate any comments or suggestions. Here is a sheridan sketchbook cover I did as well.

Bebah

I think the saddle is great, I would love to be able to make one but I'm not quite ready yet. I'm still in the motorcycle seat fear stage. Great work!

SusanC

Going to be a fine looking saddle. I sure like the way you layed out the tooling. :yes:

Very Nice Work ! ! !

Saddle is lookin realy good.

The scetch book is beautiful !

I'm a sucka for nicely done Sheridan Leather.

I've been toolon for a while, but never made a saddle, one day soon.

For your first one, it looks just great .

Make sure you post the finished work, with plenty of photos.

And by the way welcome to the site..

As I'm only on my second saddle I have no structure advice but it looks great!

ArtS

Wow!  Very nice work. I also love the binder cover.  Yiur Sheridan is very cool.

Storm

Congrats on the first saddle and welcome to the forum! Very nice job on the notebook cover too. I like the carving. May I ask what tool(s) you're using for your beveling?

Congrats on the first saddle and welcome to the forum! Very nice job on the notebook cover too. I like the carving. May I ask what tool(s) you're using for your beveling?

Mornin' Go2Tex,

I use a variety of bevelers. I use primarily Tandy/LeatherFactory tools. I did buy a few from the Al Stohman line. As you can see on the undercutting of the flowers I have about 4 different sizes of undercut bevelers. I like the way you can get more relief on the flowers. I like what it does to shadows and textures. In the broad open areas I use the larger bevelers and go smaller as the work requires.

I don't know if that answers your question. If not, let me know and I will photograph them and indicate where they were used. Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Bebah

Great work! I love the border, it's simple but it really makes the whole look come together. Keep it up.

Hey, thanks for all the words of encouragement. I might add, that if the skirts appear short, it's built for Arabs. I took several measurements from my horses and had Bowman build a tree to my specks. So the overall length of the saddle

is about 25". I am in the process of putting together the full rigging. Then I can assemble. I am in a quandry regarding the stirrups. I am leaning toward matching, carved, leather. Rather than metal. I still have to to the padded seat.

I find that a little intimidating. I did have trouble finding a 3/4 foam with good density for the pad. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might obtain such material ? Thanks for any help on that.

Bebah

Nice work on the saddle, can we see pictures of it on one of your Arabs when you get it all done?

Edited by serena

Nice work on the saddle, can we see pictures of it on one of your Arabs when you get it all done?

Hi Serena,

I would be glad to post it on one of the Arabs when I have it finished. If you would like to see some of the arabs without the saddle, you can see them on my website. www.ancientoaksarabians.com Thanks for the kind words.

Bebah

Very nice looking saddle and the tooling is beautiful.

Bebah, you are heading down the right path. This saddle is looking good. I am sure you will be pleased with it when you are done. keep up the good work.

Bob