Clay B

Food Vacuum Bag Wet Molding

Morning all,

I'm wondering if anyone has tried using food vacuum sealer storage freezer bags like you see at Costco/Sams Club for wet molding holsters? Results?

Thanks.

Morning all,

I'm wondering if anyone has tried using food vacuum sealer storage freezer bags like you see at Costco/Sams Club for wet molding holsters? Results?

Thanks.

I'm no professional, and some may laugh, but I have used the ziploc vacuum bags with the little hand held pump with pretty good success on lighter leather. I don't think it would have done the job on the last one I made with two layers of 8oz. veg tanned. But it worked well on a couple of holsters I made out of oil tanned leather.

Clay: there was another fairly comprehensive post a few months back concerning use of a foodsaver. They do work, although probably not as well as a commercial vacuum press, but if you have one, they're fine. I've used mine with a fair amount of success. Do a search. The biggest problem with the bags is that the one side is bumpy- easily solved by inserting another piece of bag material with the smooth side against the leather...

russ

Edited by whinewine

I do almost all the time

LCP1-1.jpg

035.jpg

stingrayrig.jpg

Yep, I vacuum mold often. There's not a problem with two layers of 8oz veg tan. Like whinewhine said, place something in the bag to keep the ribbing off the leather ( or not if you don't mind some "texture"). I've gotten the best results using slightly wetter than 'properly cased', but just barely......like spray it with a few spritzes of water on cased leather then in the bag it goes. I've also found that it's really easy to bone the leather while it's in the bag, as the bag prevents the creases from getting colored by friction. A third hand really helps so that one hand can hold the vacuum sealer shut and the other two can dispose of wrinkles before the full vacuum is reached.

Hint: Start with an over sized bag and you can get several moldings from one bag......which makes me think the ziploc with the port might be a better idea since you don't end up cutting the bag too short. Using a roll of the bags is nice if you have long or large items to mold.

Hi guys 1st post, been reading on here for awhile soakin' up the info.I couldn't resist trying this. I picked up a box of the gallon Ziplocs today after seeing this post. Best 2.99 I've spent in awhile, weirdly enough the store had the replacement bags but not the pump. I put the cone shaped nozzle on my 6.5 hp shop vac and presto, instant mold. I also took it out ,( I just used an extra piece I had cut for a compact holster, haven't tried on a complete holster yet) , and put a piece of foam rubber over the leather and tried again, no more wrinkles. Pretty slick and I think could easily finish hand boning after leather regains some color. I used 6-7 0z and no problem getting good detail, I think 7-8 overnight in the bag would work well. Have some to make and will try on them. I'm also going to give it a shot on some kydex , I build a hybrid lined Kydex holster that is sort of a pain to mold.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I think now I'll have to go out and buy one just to see if I can't make it work as well as been reported. Clay

This was done with food saver mini rechargable handheld      

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZrRftS39nGxbrtAL6

Edited by Theonlyone325
Forgot to include the vacuum sealer used