jqtoms

Strap On Belt

I have a question to put out there. So, I have made a key fob and Samsung S5 case. My belt pass through each one and cannot be removed unless I take the belt off. Do you think it would be worth putting a strap that fits on the belt? It would not hang from, but would be attached to the wide part of the belt. If I used a snap on the end, I could unbuckle it and remove the case without taking the belt off. Any thoughts?

I wear a Brown Chromexcel belt that is casual so I am not talking about a formal belt. However, I also do not want to add to it without really thinking it through.

If you want absolute security go with pull the dot style snaps. They only release one way. It's what I use on belt loops I make for holsters. If you want to know if it would work, yes it would work. I need to make on for my iPhone and I'll either go with snaps or clips. Have not decided yet.

Thanks Chief. So you would use a pull the dot snap for the strap on the belt. That seems like a solid idea. I was imagining a nipple stud but that would seem to work better. What would you think about the aesthetics of a strap like that on a belt?

The studs would work. They are very secure if you can figure out how to mount them under a loop and pass the tag end of the leather through the loop and over the stud. I have a buddy that makes belts that use that instead of a buckle and they are rock solid. But that would likely add too much bulk to the system. If I were looking for simple and secure I would just work with the pull the dots.

My concern with the stud would be if you mounted it on the back it might get enough pressure to release from daily wear. The direction of pull on the back would likely be trying to pull the strap away from the case and off the stud. You might could solve that by wrapping the strap around to the front where the stress would pull the strap down on the stud. If you can mount the stud so the pressure pulls the strap down on the stud instead of trying to lift the strap off the stud it might work.