Leatherfun

New To The Leather Hobby

Hello,

I am both new to the forum and to the leather hobby.

What I really want to do is make horse tack such as bridles, breast collar sets, etc..

But I have no idea where to start. I have basic knowledge of leather work such as stitching, tool names, casing leather, etc. but just the real basic stuff never actually worked with leather though. I was thinking of starting off with spur straps not sure.

So can anyone direct on where should I start, tools to buy, etc. I'm on a very low budget so I'm hoping if maybe I make spur straps I can try to sell them/ gain experience to be able to work on the 'big' stuff.

Thanks in advance

Also, I really want to make dog collars. I want to use Latigo leather. I am not sure what to line it with or what thickness to get, etc. I have seen wicket and Craig's site but I'm am not sure what to order? I just want to get a small piece to make a couple collars not a whole hide. I don't know so many choices!

Hi there, i'm new to leatherwork also (started last December)...for tools, look for Bruce Johnson on this forum or go to google and search "Bruce Johnson tools"...Bruce set me up with a great starter kid of tools....he is also very knowledgeable and you can ask him questions...other gents that are very helpful are Nigel Armitage, Chuck Burrows, and Ian Atkinson (Leodis Leather on youtube)...in addition, there are many other folks on this forum who are very friendly and always willing too help....hope this helps!!! :)