mliebs8

New leather, new holster

I really like this leather, it seems easier to work with that the previous stuff I had.<center>

th_DSCN2030.jpgth_DSCN2029.jpg

Edited by mliebs8

Very nice work. Can you post a closeup of the strap-n-snap area, I need some ideas LOL. Also I notice on mine there is a slight bulge along the front edge, I was thinking of adding something inside during boning to keep it straighter, a small dowel? or a strip of hardwood between the sights? anyway very nice holster..Jordan

Jordan,

The bulge is from a piece of dowel rod that I use between the sights, I put the dowel rod against the rear sight and cut it down to go over the front sight. The bulge is there because the front sight sits deep in the holster and it has an angle on it so the dowel rod pretty much started there. From the few holsters I've made the dowel rod makes a great sight channel on everything I've tried so far. On the loops I've been building everything in 3 pieces with the strap being one of them. I tried doing the belt loops and reinforcement in one piece but I didn't like the way it turned out. I really like your last project, the pattern cutout was really nice, I actually started taking more time and fine tuning my patterns after you posted.th_DSCN2033.jpg

Nice looking holster. Did you glue your belt strap assembly to your reinforcement piece or just use the snaps to secure? I may borrow your 3 piece idea. I've been making my throat reinforcement pieces wider then I like because I had to allow for stitching around the snap posts. Are you using the 6/7 or 7/8 for for your belt strap assembly. Lastly, was the increased cost of drum dyed WC worth the additional cost? Because of the common bleed off problem with black, I'm considering switching to the drum dyed pieces.

Randy

I'm using 7/8 for the body and 6/7 for the reinforcement and the belt loops. I think the cost of the WC leather was well worth it, the leather moulded well and made a huge difference in the overall appearence of the holster. I tried dyeing a few holsters and they never really looked right, that doesn't mean it can't look good it just means I couldn't dye the leather right. The belt loops are held on by the snaps and so far it seems pretty secure.

Nice job. You're really starting to get the hang of this stuff. I look forward to your next post. Oh, and BTW, nice Kimber!