Hojem

Tuck Lock In Solid Brass, Does It Even Exist?

I am looking for some high end tuck locks for a bag that I am making. Searched all over for tuck locks in solid brass, but it dosent seem to exist.Or am I wrong? There are many different models out there. If i dont find one made of solid brass, what should i be looking for? Need one that is 1" wide. Color dosent matter that much as long as it is good quality. The lock will be hidden on the bag. Advise is appreciated!

Cheers,

Johs.

Maybe ohio travel bag, they have a wide selection.

Hojem,

Did you ever find a solid brass tuck lock that is 1"? I'm looking for the same. Preferably with the catch having a rivet application rather than the cheap bending application most have.

Thanks!

Hi friends. Can you let me know why you desire or need solid brass? These are rare and we've never seen requests for them. OTB can import them, but it has been our experience that people don't want to pay up that much (sometimes double). I took a quick picture of two small cast ones we have in stock (we have a few more). See the attached image. The small nickel one is really nice and substantial. I would be happy to mail a free sample to you today. Almost all of the backs use prongs to attach and then the front gets screwed on.

I've also ordered a solid brass one from a competitor, just to test it for my own piece of mind :-).

Let me know if I can be of service.

All my best,

Jackie@ohiotravelbag.com

sorry, attaching a file is a two-step process....I'm still new here :surrender: .

post-13915-0-30872400-1438272856_thumb.j

I'm not trying to answer for the others, but the reason I prefer solid brass hardware to plated is because the plating *will* eventually break down and begin to chip, wear off, and look bad. With solid brass, it will patina over time and can also be polished if the owner desires and doesn't like the aged patina look.

But that's just my reasons. I'm sure others have their own...in the grand scheme of things, if I'm selling a leather briefcase for $200-$300, I don't think it matters if the lock mechanism costs double what a plated one costs. Again, just my opinion...I am willing to pay for high quality items when they are available. I will very, very rarely substitute a low quality item though. If what I want doesn't exist at all, I'll usually try to figure out a different way to use some other piece of high quality hardware instead.

makes sense...and OTB does offer hundreds of items in solid brass, just not those darn tuck catches. Also, make sure when you order a piece of hardware that is solid brass, that it also doesn't have plating on top, which happens, and isn't always specified. Polish and lacquer is good though. Let us know if anyone needs anything sourced. We can tool things for anyone, just provide a drawing, sketch, description, etc.

Would love to see your briefcases in the Gallery!

All my best,

Jackie@ohiotravelbag.com

Yes, they are nice, but the one I need cant be wider than 1".

Confused. The T3016 is only 1" wide... unless I'm looking at it wrong?

http://www.buckleguy.com/t3016-antique-brass-tuck-lock-solid-brass-ll/

What about buying a solid brass one with plaiting, then stripping the plaiting? Gotta be a solvent out there that will do that... then just polish on the mop. Sounds like an experiment!

With regard to comments about not wanting to pay that much... it totally makes sense. 

Personally, I would pay multiples of the price if I know it will last for heirloom quality leathergoods. When spending up to a few hundred bucks worth of leather, plus time, an extra 10 bucks for hardware is nothing to make sure it will still work and look good after 30+ years.

I think many others are the same, though I also understand that people will shy away from buying more expensive hardware when they don't have specific requirements, or a paying client, and are just adding to their hoard for 'maybe' projects.

In that way, it is understandable that expensive brass or stainless steel hardware will be much slower moving than lower price items... and since businesses run on selling stuff frequently, it makes sense why nobody carries them!

Just sucks when trying to find something better than average.