CitizenKate

Stitching Clamp

After noticing some of the discussion about stitching apparatus, I thought I would share a half-baked idea I came up with a few years ago that turned out to be pretty useful. The traditional stitching pony/horse designs were not working for me, because some of my pieces are way too large to fit in them.

This is an extra-long stitching clamp which can hold any size piece from wallet sized all the way up to around 36" wide. And since there is no apparatus below it, other than the floor, it can hold a piece very long as well. It mounts on the edge of my bench with a couple of F clamps.

It was made with two 2x4's:

- I beveled one edge of each with a router fitted with a chamfer bit. The beveled edges make the work more accessible to your hands.

- Then drilled two holes in each for the bolt and wing nut.

- Then wrapped them with upholstery leather to provide some cushioning for the work being held.

Only one half of the clamp is mounted to the edge of the bench. The other half is free to move.

StitchingClamp01_600.jpg

StitchingClamp02_600.jpg

StitchingClamp03_600.jpg

Kate

post-7-1221103518_thumb.jpg

post-7-1221103525_thumb.jpg

post-7-1221103532_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm interesting

Neat idea Kate, this is something I think I could use when I stitch belts....I will think on this

Thanks!!!!

ClayM.

Kate,

That's not as cool looking as a 100 year old stitching horse, but it does look like it would really work well for a lot of things. I am going to have to see if I can figure out a place to put something like that on my bench. I think its a great idea. Thanks for sharing it.

That IS a great idea! Not only can you do large items, you don't have to move them after every few inches of stitching!

Thanks for sharing! You're giving me some ideas for my work space...

I use something somewhat similar to this as a 45 degree beveling jig for beveling large pieces.

I think I will install a "lip" under my work bench, and install bolts through it with wingnuts that will fit, and eliminate the clamps. That way I can switch between "stitching apparatus" and beveling jig. All I'd have to do is drill holes through both of them so that they'd fit on the bolts... :whatdoyouthink:

Hilly

Edited by Hilly

thanks for sharing your idea!!

it gets me thinking for sure!

one of the few things i need my stitching horse for are really too large for it.after seeing what you came up with i think i'll try and make up a vise similar to what you've made to mount on my horse.

i really only need to be 16" or so

vacation_038.jpgI had to have a third hand to help with the wrestling belts, it helped me by about

3 hours.

post-1906-1221149921_thumb.jpg

Clay,

I find it very easy on space consumption. When I'm not using it, I just have it standing up in a corner or laying on a shelf. Also, if your bench is not as long, you can always make it shorter.

We'll have to see how this thingy looks 100 years from now!

Kate

That's not as cool looking as a 100 year old stitching horse, but it does look like it would really work well for a lot of things. I am going to have to see if I can figure out a place to put something like that on my bench.

Now that's using yer noodle. I will definitely try and incoroporate this to my workbench. Thanks for sharing.

Marlon

Oh, by the way, Windy made the astute observation that the boards I used are not 2x4's but more like 1x2-1/2. :blush:

Kate

Thanks for showing this, Kate. I saw your pictures and thought about the quilting frame that I have. I will never hand quilt a quilt, but it may be useful turned into a stitching frame. Won't be the best thing for space, but I'd be able to work from either side if I wanted. Thanks!

Crystal

That sounds pretty slick, Hilly. I might just have to try that myself.

Kate

I think I will install a "lip" under my work bench, and install bolts through it with wingnuts that will fit, and eliminate the clamps. That way I can switch between "stitching apparatus" and beveling jig. All I'd have to do is drill holes through both of them so that they'd fit on the bolts... :whatdoyouthink: