krains

Smaller version

First off, I would like to say hello to everyone here. I started leatherwork just before Christmas by stamping scraps so far. I love it! I have signed up for the Peter Main workshop in Ft Worth this weekend so I should get a lot of help also.

Once I'm satisfied with my stamping ability, I want to sew small items, purses, wallets etc for family and friends. Pretty much nothing over 7oz. I also dont have the funds to buy an expensive machine such as the 3000. The local Tandy store mentioned that an old cast iron-type Singer might work. It doesn't do reverse, but I don't really need that. So I was looking around and found a 1926 Singer Model 99-13. Any thoughts on wether or not this will work for what I need?

PS.

I love the website - I'm still wading through the tons of knowledge that everyone has posted about. I thank you all!

Welcome krains. This is a great place to learn but I sure would love to be in one of Peter Main's classes. Enjoy

Hi Karins,

The Singer 99-13 is more of less standard Singer home machine of the first half on the 20th century. I wouldn't recommend it for anything over 6-7oz thickness and definitely not continuous duty. This is mainly because of the motor. Similar machines are the Singer 201 or 66, Pfaff 300 series etc. The 99 takes 66 bobbins if you need them which there are plenty of. I am not endorsing these lighter machines for anything but light, occasional duty, the machines are reasonably strong and are all metal (not so contemporary machines), an upgrade would be a 99 with an upgraded bigger motor. I would expect you to pick up one of these for around $100 with cabinet, portable may be cheaper. The foot controls don't last forever either, expect to replace sometime. If you attend a Weaver or Smuckers consignment auction, you might come back with a gem. Take someone with you if you don't know machines. If you can get a Singer 31 you will be served well.

Art

First off, I would like to say hello to everyone here. I started leatherwork just before Christmas by stamping scraps so far. I love it! I have signed up for the Peter Main workshop in Ft Worth this weekend so I should get a lot of help also.

Once I'm satisfied with my stamping ability, I want to sew small items, purses, wallets etc for family and friends. Pretty much nothing over 7oz. I also dont have the funds to buy an expensive machine such as the 3000. The local Tandy store mentioned that an old cast iron-type Singer might work. It doesn't do reverse, but I don't really need that. So I was looking around and found a 1926 Singer Model 99-13. Any thoughts on wether or not this will work for what I need?

PS.

I love the website - I'm still wading through the tons of knowledge that everyone has posted about. I thank you all!

Welcome to the board Krains.

As for a sewing machine... I cant help much... I have a Brother 1950's era and there is no way it will sew anything thicker than say 3/16 of an inch... and that is not hard material and using the hand crank.... i have broken way too many needles trying to use the motor...

thanks for your help everyone. i found a 99 on ebay for $30. it runs well, and looks pretty good. has tons of replacement parts. so we will see. i'll definitely check on the upgraded motor! i'll post some pics whenever i do an actual project :P

thanks again,

kevin