circle

Need A Little Help Choosing A Machine.

Firstly I should say I'm in Sydney Australia and I have spent the last month and a half doing some research and trying to hunt down a machine, but I still need some help finding the right machine for me. I'm new to sewing for the most part but I know my way around a domestic machine and have done a fair bit of research. Pretty much I want to start off making these kind of Canvas/Leather Totes.

I have a fairly tight budget right now so I've been looking at used machines on eBay and Gumtree. From what I gather, mostly from reading this site but also having spoken to a couple of people in local sewing shops, I'll need a walking foot machine. I have had a really hard time finding anything with a walking foot for less than $1200 around Sydney, SO my question is; for a beginner like me would I be able to run those materials and create those products on a basic industrial machine or do I absolutely need a walking foot machine? I understand some machines will run leather and canvas without a walking foot but that may come with feeding issues etc. But I also don't want to buy a machine that will be too powerful for my needs.

Can anyone recommend a machine to look out for that could do what I need? If anyone knows of anywhere around Sydney to buy second hand machines I'd love to know. Like I said I've spent about a month and a half watching well priced used machines come and go, waiting for a walking foot to pop up but I'm running out of patience and really want to get started with something.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by circle

Looking at the bags in the links ( ~$200!?!?!???) I think you could manage that with something like a Sailrite LS-1, or LS-2. It's a little portable walking foot machine, and as the name suggests it's primarily for sail work. However, that bag is made of canvas and what looks to be fairly thin (chrome tanned) suede, which means it doesn't take permanent marks from the presser feet. The description of the bag says it's made on a "vintage single needle machine".....which means "It's the only thing I've got". I'm positive the LS-1 would do the job better. The strap handles are not an issue for this type of construction, because they're riveted in place.

ETA: This machine would be 'okay' for the bags you linked to....but several members here have reported that it is NOT suitable for general leather sewing. If you will be doing any additional sewing of leather, consider looking at our dealer's ads. Toledo Ind. Sewing has a Chandler machine (Clone of the Consew 206rb) for just over $1000 USD, and will DEFINITELY handle more than the Sailrite.

Also, try to get as much machine as you can for the money. You might think it's too much, but it's better to NOT run a machine at it's limits.

Also, try to get as much machine as you can for the money. You might think it's too much, but it's better to NOT run a machine at it's limits.

Came here to second this. You may be able to get by with a portable walking foot machine but for just a little bit more than a sailrite you'll have a machine that will last you years and be able to sew a much wider range of items should you decide to expand your product line a bit (which is very likely).

Try to find yourself a flatbed walking foot machine, you should find one for around $900-$1000 and most dealers can ship to Australia (at least I know we can) for very reasonable rates.

Ron

Great! Thanks very much for the replies.

One more thing... I'm going to be moving to the US in about a year so rather than spend big bucks on a good machine to last me years now, are there any non-walking foot machines that might be able to handle what I want? Granted it probably won't be the best finished product but while I'm learning and getting my techniques and everything down I wouldn't mind just messing about with a cheaper machine.

Wow, Wow, wow,wow..that changes a few things. Moving to the US and want a machine for a YEAR. I heard years ago advice that might help you. If if floats, *()&, or flies, rent it.

Find somebody to RENT you a machine for a year. Pay them handsomely for the privilege. Buy your own supplies of needle and thread, of course, as needed and return the machine in better shape than you got it.

You will not be out shipping to the STATES, nor loss on resale. I'm sure at least one of those Sydney sellers would look at rent-to-own or return.

whatdoyouthink.gif

Kevin